PDA

View Full Version : Where is the oil coming out at

speedy
09-10-2003, 08:16 PM
My 400 ex is loosing alot of oil and the dealer said that its wasnt coming out of the tale pipe because its not soity inside the exaust.

Does anyone know where the oil could be coming out at :confused: :grr:

skemp
09-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Well, it is either coming out of the exhaust or leaking out of the motor. Check for drops/puddles of oil under the quad after it has been parked. With it running, also check for leaks, especially around the oil lines and bottom of oil tank near the drain plug. If it doesnt' leak, then it is burning oil; making your dealer wrong. :)

cals400ex
09-10-2003, 10:40 PM
try changing brands of oil you use. some people have problems with their 400ex's using a little oil over time. i use mobil 1 and don't really have any problems.

ewalker302
09-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Drive it (make sue to fill it with oil first)
then park it on a piece of cardboard while the bike is still hot & leave it parked overnght.

maybe its just a blown or misaligned gasket.

try pulling up on all the case & engine bolts & make sure none are loose.

Oh yeah clean your quad good with some degreaser first so you can easily see where it's coming from especialy between the engine and skid plate, its hard to see where it may be leaking if all of the plate is oily. Most people drain their oil on the side of the case. There is also a drain plug on the bottom of the quad, it may be loosening.

Still it seems like your dealer would have been able to find the leak. I've never known my dealer to come up blank, usually they try to say they fixed something just to get into your wallet.

You never said if your bike was smoking any or not.
If it its, it's probly the rings.

still not too hard of a fix.

Check the fittings on your upper oil tank & oil cooler these could be leaking slowly and burning off on your cylinder or exhaust & you may not notice it.

Also if you are running synthetic oil, it is made up of smaller particles than petrolum based oils, not to bash synthetics, but they can sometimes leak in places where other oils dont.

Good luck, long post but I hope this helps.
:bandit: