PDA

View Full Version : AMP Link

Jekyl_22
01-30-2002, 08:04 AM
Does anybody have this "best bolt-on product we've ever tested" (Dirtwheels) on their quad? How much does it help? Any info. would be appreciated. They don't yet make it for a 400ex, but I e-mailed them and they said that they would have them in about 6-10 weeks. They will probably cost around $150 like the others.

oynot400
01-30-2002, 08:13 AM
A friend of mine has one on his Banshee. He thinks that it was the biggest waste of money he has spent. That is his opinion though. :rolleyes:

sheaff400ex
01-30-2002, 09:39 AM
It seems that dirtwheels pushes and endorses products regardless of their quality. I used to think they were objective in there testing. We should post a list of parts or bolt ons that are a waste of money. This would help fellow ex-riders from being scammed out oif their hard earned money. From my experiences the amp link is a waste of money. So is was the PEP steering damper and Boyeson Rad valve I had on my old blaster.

RideRed400EX
01-30-2002, 10:05 AM
I think you've touched on an interesting point. A magazines expenses are paid for primarily by advertising and to keep their clients happy they are willing to change or falsify "test" results. Thank god we have resources like EXRiders for input on products and services. Finally we get the information we need without bias.

Scott
01-30-2002, 10:27 AM
Try a search on here for amp link. It was just a couple weeks ago someone else had a thread going asking the same thing. The majority opinion was they were a waste of money. That would be my vote as well.

Blysster
01-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a AMP link?

Moto92
01-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Amp Link.....I didnt know you had subwoofers on your 400 :D
sorry, that was a bad one. I dont have a clue what an amp link is.

oynot400
01-30-2002, 12:18 PM
An Amp Link from what it looks to me, is something that you put on so it takes the slack out of you chain. But it also gives the chain to move with the suspension. I believe the idea of it is to elmimate (sp) chain slap, which could rob power over whoops and rough areas.

Scott
01-30-2002, 12:33 PM
basically, think of it as a spring loaded chain roller for $150. It's a waste of money, I don't care what DW says.

400exJOE
01-30-2002, 02:34 PM
if you want a better mag, get atv action. They seem to know what they are talking about much more than dirtwheels. Although I do have a subscription to dirtwheels. What the AMP Link does is take the slop out of the chain and keeps the suspension from tightening up so you traction out instead of spinning out. I don't know how well it works though.

harebounder
02-01-2002, 03:39 PM
I have a amp link on my banshee and it does help far as making it grab traction rather than spinning out. I have no horsepower mods done to that machine but i noticed it the first ride with it. As far as putting it on a 400ex unless your 400 has that quick horsepower hit like a banshee i wouldn't put one on it i am not going to put one on my 400.

02-01-2002, 05:58 PM
the amp link claims to allow the swingarm to move freely during hard acceleration and not allow the binding or stiffness in the rear suspension.

i have heard both good and bad things but have not tried one myself.

You guys bring up a great idea about the problems with mag product reviews. I think everyone of us had purchased at least one thing that was hyped up and did not perform as claimed. This is a real shame as it is not only bad enough you have to pay for the mag but now you also get soaked by buying things that dont perform.

If anyone from the NJ area is interested in evaluating different products shoot me off an email or pm as I am talking with a few riders to do just that.

We are currently talking about shocks and suspension mods and are looking at getting together in March.

Thanx

shamisc
02-03-2002, 07:00 PM
hey 400exjoe, how are you likeing that supertrapp ids2 ?