PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tidbit for those bottle water drinkers

Foxyangel0425
09-09-2003, 06:26 PM
Reusing Water Bottles
Posted 4 Aug 2003 09:16 by Log
This is the third entry in my ongoing periodic series on health and safety. Part 1 was about fish-derived beer additives, and part 2 was about hurricane dangers in New York City.

At work, I have a water bottle that I've been refilling and washing repeatedly for several months. At first it was Poland Spring brand, but at some point it was replaced with a Pepsi-made and Troy-derived Desani bottle. I learned recently, however, that drinking out of this bottle was endangering my health.

Polyethylene terephthalate (PETE #1) is one of the most common plastics in the world. It's used in soda and water bottles, salad dressing bottles, peanut butter containers, film, and oven trays. About 1.72 million tons of PETE is created every year (12.6 pounds per American), and about 30% of that is recycled. The recycling of PETE is actually a great success story. There is recycled PETE in half of all new polyester carpet, as well as in all fleece and several other fabrics.

But PETE bottles begin to break down after a couple of uses, especially when washed with hot water.

"One of the toxins that frequently appeared in water samples from the reused bottles was DEHA, a carcinogen regulated in drinking water because it has been linked to weight loss, liver problems, or possible reproductive difficulties. It is also suspected that DEHA can cause cancer in humans." (Risks in Reusing Water Bottles, Medline Plus, 26 Jan 2003)

So I have replaced that bottle with a Nalgene bottle made from high impact-resistant polycarbonate that was intended to be reused. As long as I don't need to contain anything with more than 15% alcohol by volume, I should be fine.

09-09-2003, 06:28 PM
and i thought sniffin paint was bad.....:confused2

wilkin250r
09-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Foxyangel0425

"One of the toxins that frequently appeared in water samples from the reused bottles was DEHA, a carcinogen regulated in drinking water because it has been linked to weight loss, liver problems, or possible reproductive difficulties.

Well, most health-conscious nutjobs are into weight loss, and they shouldn't be reproducing, so maybe we want to encourage these side effects.

batgeek
09-09-2003, 06:34 PM
we are all born to die....

ima go hide in the corner and cry now. :(

09-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
we are all born to die....

ima go hide in the corner and cry now. :(

don't forget your wooo bee...:uhoh:

DEAL
09-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Thank god beer bottles are glass eh Rico?

09-09-2003, 08:06 PM
not the ones at the football games...there this same kinda plastic :eek2:

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-09-2003, 08:09 PM
i been refilling water bottles numerous times with cold water for months....should i worry?:confused2

Woodsrider
09-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i been refilling water bottles numerous times with cold water for months....should i worry?:confused2

I have been using the same water bottle in the fridg for at least a year. and before that it was a different one, and a different one before that. But I just cant seem to loose those few extra pounds.:ermm: Were all gonna die of sumpin so fug it:rolleyes: