PDA

View Full Version : wheels and tires set up for woodstrails

01-29-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, I'm now looking for a good set up of tires and rims for woods racing. Should I get off-set, beadlock, steel ?? what size rim and tires would you experienced riders go with, also what tire patter and manuf. looking to stay under $600

thanks

004exkid
01-30-2002, 02:10 PM
I think the ultmate steup would be carbon beadlocks and 6-ply razors or holeshots. If that is to spendy mabye douglas 190's with rings.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-30-2002, 03:43 PM
are the holeshots and razors ..square profile tires or round
i want a good sliding and gripping tire i know a rounded sidewall won't slide as good as a square one will....
i'm runnin' the smallest version of the fast trekkers now...there like 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches tall....and all i do is woods ride...way too small of a tire for trails i know but my other set has a hole in one tire..there some big baloon lookin' no-name brand produced by goofy tires anyway....i know some people say you don't want the rear end to slide out and spin in a fast turn and some say they do want it too....i myself want the rear end to slide out a little.. makes it easier to control..thats just the way i feel about it...and i hear--(never rode on either tire) i hear the razors have the rounded prfile and want to stick...and a guy i rode with that has the raptor
'may have just been his bike"...he said he didn't like em' said they didn't do anything but spin....fill me in....

JOEX
01-30-2002, 05:09 PM
i'm runnin' the smallest version of the fast trekkers now...there like 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches tall....

Doesn't that equal negetive ground clearance?:p

Scott
01-30-2002, 06:30 PM
You want holeshots or razrs. They're the "square profile" tires you're talking about. Between the two, it seems to be a matter of personal preference. My friends seem to wear out razrs faster than I wear out holeshots. Other guys might have different experiences. For the fronts, I think pro-comps work better than either the razr or holeshot front for a 300. No matter what you choose, get at least 4ply and I recommend 6ply.

For rims and staying under $600 total, you're not going to get much after you buy the tires. Unless you spend the money for something with either beadlocks or reinforcing rings, you're better off with the fatory rims. I would get the tires now run them on the factory rims while your saving up to by either reinforced 0.190s or beadlocks. The best of the best are the carbon fiber beadlocks from HiPer Technologies. But they're going to be about $750 to your door.

I run a 300 with pro comps on the front, 22" XCT Holeshots on the back, all on champion beadlocks. All I ride is woods.

dirtclog
01-30-2002, 06:46 PM
I don't race but I ride exclusively in the woods..I run 22" maxxis razr rears and 23" fronts...both six ply..rears on stock rims and fronts on douglas .190 with +2 offset.

01-30-2002, 07:09 PM
what sice rim are you running on the front?

dirtclog
01-30-2002, 07:55 PM
the front rims are 10X5's I think..

they have 23X7X10's on them...see thread:

http://forums.exriders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7002

was a whole discussion on 23" tires and I put different angle pic...I like them

"BLAHH"300!!
01-30-2002, 08:43 PM
.....i don't guess so man....does sound funny though huh...
...take you thumb and index finger and make a ( [ ) (C)..now hold that shape and move them away as far as they will go...streach em'.....thats how....
..i can put my thumb inside the rim ... and my finger on the tread of the tire.. and it equals about 4 maybe 5 inches.....their tee niney man.....

JOEX
01-30-2002, 08:57 PM
I figured you were refering to side wall height, but the way it's worded it sounds like overall height. I've seen pictures of them and they look pretty cool.

Joe

"BLAHH"300!!
01-30-2002, 09:18 PM
i just went out and looked to make sure..they are...
rear fast trekkers' on ITP 10 inch rims --18/11/10 i measured from the very edge of the rim to the top of the tread on the tire..it was 2 1/2 inches

my front's are maxxis on stock rims --21/7.00/10
i didn't even look at those othe bigg baloon tire's their on my stocker rims....

yeah these tires are little man....they don't even need to be ridin' on trails i know....need to be ran on a ---short run/turn real quick/short run/turn real quick-type race track....
couse thats all their good for......
they make the bike look good ...but thats about it

i wouldn't recomend them to my freinds-----go buy you some...

Jekyl_22
02-03-2002, 08:24 PM
I just got my 20x11x9 Maxxis Razr's Friday and I love them so far. They are great, they get awesome traction about anywhere.

Today my friends (dirt bike riders) and I were riding and we went to a landslide where I usually have to have someone push on the grab bar while I floor it to barelly even get up it (very slick, steep, and rutted). The first attempt, I ended up riding a wheelie up it and couldn't turn; I eventually fell off. My fourwheeler slid into some ruts though and I ended up making it up the second attempt. It gets awesome traction...:macho

harebounder
02-11-2002, 10:50 AM
I run the b-class in my organization just got razors all the way around on mine get good traction haven't really made up my mind on the front tires yet i have them mounted on douglas .190 rims all the way around. the back tires get very good traction good sliding ability but is very wet and muddy here right now. the razor are a softer compound and wear out quicker than most tires but give you added traction on hardpack that is the benefit. I have 6-ply up front and 4-ply in back. Are you going to tell me there is a difference between 4 and 6-ply for only a six dollar difference. i think its a scam. If there is the extra two ply are more weight of horsepower robbing. I have only ridden with them twice like i said i might like the bandit fronts i had better than the razor fronts but i do like the back ones.

JabberJaw
02-11-2002, 01:20 PM
If you ride in real nasty slick mud, some puddles, and gook...then you want ITP Spider Trac's! I previously tried Holeshots, ATT Rawhides, Super Swampers, Mud Runners, Mud Sharks, and now the ITP Spider Trac's. They are by far the best tire I have tried.

250rampage
02-11-2002, 06:40 PM
Personally, I like Maxxis Sur-Traks for muddy conditions.

02-11-2002, 07:27 PM
thanks everybody for your input. I foudn some black label douglas rims , I'm going to put my oem tires on the front and holeshot mx 22/11/8 4ply on the rear... also got a stabilizer... think i'll be fine for now.. i really appreciate all the advise...

400exRacerX
02-13-2002, 02:30 PM
They don't make holeshot mx's in 22inch. They only make them in 18inch.

EricB
02-13-2002, 06:58 PM
how well do those more agresive mud tires hold up on loose dirt and gravel? and just normal trails? the stuff i'll be riding is all of that heh..i just can't forsee those normal nobby style the holeshots and razorzs being worth a damn in a sloppy muddy situation, but then again thats why im asking.

250rampage
02-13-2002, 07:28 PM
My Sur Trac's on both my recon and 400 Work VERY well for trails. They don't wear out really fast, and give a decent ride. It's amazing how well a sport quad can mud, with all the wheelspin+the traction of a more agressive mud tire. Here is a picture of mine after 5 months of frequent ridding, with quite a bit of road travel included. They wear out much slower than stockers.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-13-2002, 10:57 PM
sprokett

EricB
02-14-2002, 01:22 PM
another question about knobbys, how do they do in snow? do those more agressive tires do better?

JabberJaw
02-14-2002, 05:57 PM
The Sure trak's or Spider Trac's will work much better in the mud and wet woods... The holeshots work great on hard pack and track conditions...but get clogged up in the mud. Ask anyone on here who has ridden with me...I go to the WOODS EXTREME!

harebounder
02-15-2002, 03:54 PM
I have been riding in snow and really wet woods and leaves and my razor rears are a noticeable difference haven't noticed them getting clogged with mud. Good sliders but right now it is really tough to tell with snow dirt snow like conditions i will keep you riders updated i how i think they perform

JB's 400ex
02-26-2002, 02:08 PM
I have the sur traks on my 250 and I can get by far more traction on my 250 than I can on my 400 with the stock tires. I am considering trying the sur traks on my 400 during muddy and snowy conditions. The only thing about sur traks is that a stock style knobby like the holeshots, razrs, or stockers will be much better in loose or hardpack dry conditions. If you have a little moisture, not sloppy, the stockers work excellent on the 400, when it gets wet, get ready to spin. One more benefit the sur traks have over the mx style knobbys is ground clearance.