PDA

View Full Version : 300EX wiring

Harlock
09-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi All,

Before you all go and say "Go order a service manual" I would, if one of the online shops will ship the bloody thing to Africa, yes Africa, so here I sit with a 300EX, it took a nice roll/tumble and cracked the entire run/start, starter button unit on the handle bar (plus some other bits) so guess what is even worse? Can't get a replacment unit here .... ggrrrrr ... so after two weeks I found a Raptor 660 unit and want to retro fit it ... but have some q's.

On the 300EX you have the following wires:
Black with white stripes and Black with white line - goes to Orange RUN/STOP switch.
Yellow with red line, and Black with white stripes - goes to Start button.

Now the voltage is 12V on both feeds, which doesn't make any sence, since there is two Black with white stripes (single) and another black with two white stripes ...

Anyway, either someone offer to read/type me the wire speck, or help me out here, or offer to ship me a manual to Africa, I'll pay.

Jay300ex
09-09-2003, 01:56 PM
The black wire that goes the the engine stop start is your common wire which has juice when the ignition key is turned. When the switch is on there is power flowing through it to the black wire with the white tracer which goes to your ignition and give you spark. The yellow wire with the red tracer is what goes to your starter and turns the bike over. So when you turn that key you have power going the the ignition and the starter button so that when you push the button it turns over and fires.

I think you just need to hook up the wires from the raptor one accordingly if you know what I mean. If you arn't worried about keeping lights or w/e then it is easy.

Hope that helped.

Harlock
09-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanx, but the there are two common "ground" wires, so after ignition key is turned I have two black with white stipped tracers as common "ground" and a "live" yellow/red and "live" black with white line tracer ... which makes no sence ... I used a multi-meter to check the voltages etc.

This doesn't make sence, since the run/stop (black with white line tracer and black with stripped tracer) should affect the starter button, it not in "run" possition. but if I turn the ignition and "short" yellow/red and any one of the black with stripped white wires the starter motor turns ... which defies logic.

Jay300ex
09-09-2003, 08:11 PM
So you are saying that you are getting no power to your starter? The black wire ( the manual says its black which it is, but it also has little gray broken lines on it ) which is suppose to have juice and go into the start button, has power right?

So you hooked the yellow/red wire to a common wire and the motor turns right? But it doesn't turn if you hook those same wires up to the raptor switch?

I am just analyzing this.. but I think either you connected the wrong wires on the switch, or the switch is bad.

Keep giving me info.

Jay

Harlock
09-10-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi Jay,

I tested the switch, it works fine :-/

I have the following wires, of which the main ones are:
2x Black with single white stripe tracers (B/wst)
1x Black with two white stripe tracers (B/2wst)
1x Black with white line tracer (B/wlt)
1x Yellow with red line tracer (Y/rlt)
1x Blue (Bu)
1x White (W)

So the one B/wst and B/wlt goes to the orange run/stop switch.
The other B/wst and Y/rlt goes to the starter button.

If I turn the ignition key, no matter if the run/stop swtich is on or off I get the starter motor turning by pressing the starter button.

The Blue and white is for lights.
I found the B/2wst to be common ground.

So all I'm looking for is an explination of the wires going to the unit and the colors. I can work it out from there.

On the wiring diagram (btw I have the 400EX and 250EX diagrams) there is a legend section, that is all I'm after.

bradley300
09-10-2003, 09:30 AM
cant help you much, but you might also try a yamaha forum and see if someone can show a diagram of the raptor stuff, just to make sure you know what the wires are doing. try www.bansheehq.com

Jay300ex
09-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Harlock

If I turn the ignition key, no matter if the run/stop swtich is on or off I get the starter motor turning by pressing the starter button.

Okay so it's getting power. Umm I think either its wired wrong or you have a bad switch.

As long as there is power going to the wires you need it too it will all work. If the switch is working like that it may be the switch is bad.

That's all I can think of though :ermm:

Jay