PDA

View Full Version : stock oil canister

zephead400ex
09-09-2003, 01:10 PM
What is the stock oil canister made of? I thought it was aluminum! The reason why I ask is b/c my stock canister was leaking so I had a friend of mine take it to his job (@ Husky Liners) and have thier guys weld it for me. They tried everything they had to try to weld it, but nothing would "stick" to it. For a temporary fix they put JB Weld on it. It looks like SH*T!!

peace

lil400exman
09-09-2003, 01:21 PM
yeah its aluminum but its coated with a heat disappting paint if i rember correctly so you probably would be better off buying a aftermarket one that looks better and holds more oil IMO:)

zephead400ex
09-09-2003, 01:41 PM
thanks for the reply! Heat disapating paint...? that sucks!

anyone have any more info on this?

peace

lil400exman
09-09-2003, 01:45 PM
you could try sandblasting it and roughen it up where your going to weld to help the welds stick better....i dunno though.......:)

cdalejef
09-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Its cast alum. which is very hard to weld.

zephead400ex
09-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info Jeff. Is there anything that you can weld onto this? The JB Weld I dont think is going to cut the cheese!:)

cdalejef
09-09-2003, 03:01 PM
You will have to ask someone that welds alum. professionally. Ask around localy at some welding shops.

ewalker302
09-09-2003, 03:58 PM
The oil tanks can be welded.

The first time I went to change the oil on my 400
The guy I bought it from had I guess overtightened the drain plug
on the bottom of the tank, and popped the threaded part off of the tank.

I took off the tank & had the threaded part welded back on.

I had to go to a few shops before I found someone to do it.

I think it was a radiator shop. They have a lot of experience welding aluminum & alloys.

When I got it back the weld was stong, but looked nasty.
I took my dremel tool w/ cutting disk & ground the weld bead down to a taper. I had to trim out a little bit of the rubber gasket that the bottom of the tank goes in.

It took a little work on my part, but the guy only charged me 10 bucks & I think it's stronger now than stock.

Make sure to clean out the screen in the tank while you have it off.

Good luck.
:bandit: