PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need your opinions about a career choice......

sly400ex
09-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Alright, this is the break down.....maybe some of you can help me lean a certain way with my decision. I've been working for same company for the past seven years....been doing IT work for the past three. It is a T-Comm company that has lost over 2/3 of its employees due to layoffs because of the economy. There is still not a bright future foreseen either. I have made it through about eight rounds of layoffs here, but I am VERRRYYYY stressed out about not knowing when or if my number could be up. Well here it is. They just offered a program where you could voluntarily choose if you want to be laid off. I would get a decent severance package too....three months full pay, three months of paid insurance (not Cobra) and still be able to collect unemployment. This is the downside though. The market is tough right now, as we all know, but there ARE quite a few jobs out there. (Chicagoland area) The other downside is that I don't have a degree, but I do have quite a few prestigious Microsoft certifications. If and next time there are layoffs, they may not offer any type of severance package either....uuuuuuhhhh, my head hurts!!!! Sorry so long, but what do you guys think?????:confused: :(

zephead400ex
09-09-2003, 09:13 AM
The comany I work for KeyCreations, Inc. is hiring. We do IT support along with dialup, DSL, & wireless internet connectivity. But, we dont make poo for $. I work full time, make less than $9 an hour, but have free benefits b/c I am single so I really can't complain too much. I do not have a degree in anything as of now. Experience is the key, a peice of paper is sh*t to me.

www.keycreations.com

As for a new career choice: start a small IT company
This is what my and ledofthezep are talking about. It is pretty easy and good money (if you know what you are doing)

peace and good luck!

stace609
09-09-2003, 09:55 AM
I don't want to tell you to quit your job or anything, but I would start looking seriously. You have a lot of experience but it's in one industry. You might want to look into something you'd enjoy doing and even if you have to start lower or take a pay cut if you are good at it, you could move up. A lot of companies don't post higher positions because they hire on the inside so if you get into somewhere you could probably move up pretty easy. Or if you just work somewhere temporarily to learn some experience in a different field it might open up some more possibilities. Any other industries interest you? Or you enjoy the T-Comm business?

Doibugu2
09-09-2003, 10:14 AM
I would stay with your job as long as you can, but start trying to find another job.

Also found out how long that buyout is good for? Meaning can you wait 3 months and still have the option.

The big key is how much money do you have saved up to be without work. Always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

atcyalater
09-09-2003, 10:17 AM
It sounds like there are other jobs in your area so why don't you pursue a new job and when you find one take advantage of the volontary layoff at your company. Don't forget it's just a game these companies are playing. You might not feel right about taking the severnce pay if you have found another job but you have given your company seven years and they are ready to just throw you out the door.

freakystone
09-09-2003, 10:20 AM
Not to be nosey but how much money do you make? How much would three months severance be?

Are you interested in owning your own business?

Drop me an email if you are interested at freakystone@elitecrete.com. and I will go into some details. This is not a scam or MLM. I am not the one that will be setting you up, I will just point you in the right direction. I see you are in Joliet, so you are already at a major advantage.

sly400ex
09-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone.....I'm not to concerned with staying within the T-com industry at all, actaully I'd like to get out. I'd like to get into the healthcare scene.

Freaky- You have a PM and I will email you tonight.
Thanks everyone!

wilkin250r
09-09-2003, 12:29 PM
I know that the IT business is really picking up on the west coast. You might look into that option of you are open to relocating.

WickedJenDol300
09-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Ok here is my THOUGHT....If I were you...I would take the severance pay and take those three months off and either go to school and get into the medical field or actually what I would really do is combine my IT knowledge with the medical frield and get some certs in HIPPA. HIPPA is real big right now and what it is is the medical data going through in iternet and the HIGH security levels of IT needed to support it.....there is alot of money in that and not alot of people who have the knowlegde to do it.........now that is just me.......but hey I think it would be better to get out and spend three months full time looking and interviewing or even going through a temp agancy Plus you get unemployment and find something else/........Id hate to lose that package deal.......most likely they will NOT offer it to you if you are laid off....... avarage is two weeks pay.

But that is just me....... now Im 23 and live by the seat of my pants so maybe this advice is all trash........ but maybe it will help......good luck and keep us posted.

sly400ex
09-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks Wicked, that is actaully what i have been thinking to do...I'll check out that hippa info too!