PDA

View Full Version : torque issue

stupid driver
09-08-2003, 09:27 PM
k, i have a small question about the nuts that attatch the header pipe to the cylinder head. U know the 4 that screw right onto the bolts that stick out of the head. My question is, what is the amount of torque for these nuts? my service manual doesnt say, and i dont want to overtighten them, because those studs bend really easily :confused: any help would be great

i tried to put this in the powertrain, but it wouldnt let me start the tread

JOEX
09-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Did you replace/install the gaskets that go there?

Mine didn't have gaskets but I put some in when I reinstalled the header. I just snugged them up till they "felt" good. It is kind of a sense when tightening bolts. I haven't had a problem with it leaking. MIght want to re-snug them after they have been run for a bit and cooled.

Joe

stupid driver
09-08-2003, 09:44 PM
k, thank you, ya my new motor is supposed to have the gaskets w/ it.

the reason i asked was because those studs were all a little bent from me tightening the nuts too much

JOEX
09-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Id be worried of the header leaking if the studs a bent. Might want to think about replacing the studs and gaskets...

Joe

09-08-2003, 09:54 PM
If i dont know the torque i usely tighten until it feels snug, then give it another quarter-half turn.

but do what you want.

stupid driver
09-08-2003, 09:55 PM
no, that was my old motor. I had to order a new motor from service honda. ( believe me, i had the mechanics shi*tin themselves when they saw the damage done by the rod. ):eek2:

09-08-2003, 10:05 PM
If you dont over tighten them they wont bend.

Its easier with new exhaust flange studs to guage the torque by hand. The used ones are most often pre bent as well as the flange itself and its tough to determine if your cruching the crush gaskets or just bringing everything back to the bent shape it has become.

Remember when using new hardware and flanges that your NOT trying to make the flange meet the head because thats why most of them get bent.

JOEX
09-08-2003, 10:18 PM
That makes sense:)

I reread what was posted and it seems there is a new motor and the old studs and header are being used. Could there be issues with that combination?

Joe

stupid driver
09-08-2003, 10:44 PM
nope, new studs, same header. the header isnt bent bad, it was just the studs, i just dont want to do it again.

09-08-2003, 11:20 PM
i just dont want to do it again

good idea:D