PDA

View Full Version : Long Travel v.s Standard Travel

nacs400ex
09-08-2003, 05:04 PM
I am looking for a set-up for the R. I am finding it pretty much impossible on deciding front ends, and deciding to go long travel.

The reason why I dont want to go to long travel is because of the price obviously. I dont know what to do.

I have sat down and tried to decide but I always have no luck. Could you please give me some advice and tips. BTW I am gunna be racing MX.

I dont really know what my class would compare to? I know I can keep up with the pros around here, but that is a far cry from the pros in the states.

seven
09-08-2003, 05:35 PM
I was in the same boat as you. Then i was shopping on ebay and ran into a set of burgard long travel +3 arms for my R. I ended up getting them for 298 and shipping. So I then ordered a set of TCS long travel shocks to match for 790 to my door. But I havent got to try them out yet so i cant tell you if its gonna be worth it.

AlaskaSpeed
09-08-2003, 05:38 PM
I talked to Mark Baldwin about long travel vs short travel and the way he explained it to me is that you gain less than an inch in travel by going to long travel, but the benefit comes in the valving. The shock builder has much more precise valving for the shock with long travel..........JIM

Pappy
09-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
I talked to Mark Baldwin about long travel vs short travel and the way he explained it to me is that you gain less than an inch in travel by going to long travel, but the benefit comes in the valving. The shock builder has much more precise valving for the shock with long travel..........JIM

thats pretty much what ive been told also

09-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
thats pretty much what ive been told also

me 2

:bandit:

nacs400ex
09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by seven
I was in the same boat as you. Then i was shopping on ebay and ran into a set of burgard long travel +3 arms for my R. I ended up getting them for 298 and shipping. So I then ordered a set of TCS long travel shocks to match for 790 to my door. But I havent got to try them out yet so i cant tell you if its gonna be worth it.

You stole those a-arms :eek2: Thats an amazing DEAL. I was told that I have to run 400ex spindels and hubs. But its gunna cost me like 600 CDN for that. Do all LT set-ups use 400ex front components?

quader400
09-09-2003, 07:57 PM
are there a-arms that are plus 2 with lt setup cause i want to get an lt setup but dont want to screw around with my rear and stuff. thanks.

Dave400ex
09-09-2003, 08:53 PM
I've also heard the same. Mark said he could make a standard setup work just as good as an LT setup. So, is the LT worth it then?

Pappy
09-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I've also heard the same. Mark said he could make a standard setup work just as good as an LT setup. So, is the LT worth it then?

it was for me just because i got a killer deal. but most of the racers i know say its no real big advantage...but ill soon be able to speak from expierence:p

Dave400ex
09-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Yeah I'm really interested on what your results will be. For the money LT costs, it better make a darn good improvement over standard.

09-09-2003, 09:27 PM
i was consideirng long travel but there all around 2 g rand, where as my front end is 1 grand, for 1000 bucks i could do alot of other mods to my quad , besides if some pros can run standard travel for the average guy it cant be that bad, i guess it depends on your cash flow

nacs400ex
09-10-2003, 03:41 PM
well I am assuming that by you saying mark, you mean mark baldwin? I dunno, I can get a LT front end for like $750, by getting a strong arm set-up. I have heard of them, but I dont really know how good the quality is? I know a few people that run their standard set-up, but LT is a little different. Anyone have any suggestions? I am pretty close on just deciding on getting standard travel this year, and next year getting LT. But its a hard decision. Adam Parks (Five industries) Tells me his gibson set up makes a huge difference over standard travel ?

I will probably get Elkas cause they are closer to me than PEP or Axis. It would only cost like $14 to send my shocks to Elka. Also I was told PEP require more maintenance over Elka and Axis, such as changing the oil and seals, etc.

KrazyKid300ex
09-10-2003, 05:52 PM
im asving for LT buguards and LT PEPS! holla:macho

400exBro
09-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Pappy- tell me how the axis burgard works!!!??? i am thinking about that set up or elkas...

can you post pics?? also what type of ball joints does burgard use?? am i able to get full range of motion like the rolls and JRDs???

YLW400
09-10-2003, 06:35 PM
I have long travel Gibson with PEP ZPS...I am not a good enough rider to really tell a difference though. Sharpshooter has +2 Housers with Axis, and it fells like a darn good setup also. I agree with Alaskajim and those guys, I have heard the same thing. I was also told once that they should be called "longbody" shocks instead of "longtravel" because the amount of travel you gain is not that significiant.......I had the money to go with L/T, so I did it. I do feel that the +3 Gibsons do help alot on off camber type stuff, which I ride a good bit at places like Budds and such.....

LS@GtThunder
09-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
I have long travel Gibson with PEP ZPS...I am not a good enough rider to really tell a difference though. Sharpshooter has +2 Housers with Axis, and it fells like a darn good setup also. I agree with Alaskajim and those guys, I have heard the same thing. I was also told once that they should be called "longbody" shocks instead of "longtravel" because the amount of travel you gain is not that significiant.......I had the money to go with L/T, so I did it. I do feel that the +3 Gibsons do help alot on off camber type stuff, which I ride a good bit at places like Budds and such.....

Like you mention - there are a lot of misconseptions on this issue. Many "so called" long travel a-arms simply use long shocks but have no more travel then a well setup "so called" standard setup. For most riders the standard setup is fine. However there are a few advantages and differances in using long shocks. As far as valving goes - I have seen the exact same valving on both the standard setup and the long travel from one shock company. Even so the shocks did work differantly.

1. For long races - the longer shock body holds more oil and can maintain a lower shock temp - which in turn keeps the valving more consistant thruout the race. The down side of this - they do weigh more.

2. Depending on the parts available - some shock builders can get the spring stackup that they want easier with the extra length.

3. The most important differance is how the long shock setup lower shock mount location effects wheel/shock travel ratio thruout the travel. The standard setup operates in a differant part of the arc and does not get the increased shock speed as it nears bottoming as does the longer shock. It is not a big differance but there is a differance. (any good cad guys to draw this for us?)

Pappy
09-10-2003, 07:06 PM
my pencil is sharpened :D

so basically ...for the average rider or racer ....LT presents no real signifigance over standard travel .

the lower arc you refer too....i assume that with the LT shock its valved to compensate for this?

thanks again for taking the time to post here for us:)

nacs400ex
09-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Yes, Thank You very much. Its nice to know some technical stuff also when trying to figure this out. Not just people saying get LT case thats what the Pro's run.

I think I am just gunna go with the standard set-up. Any recommondation on a-arms? Pappy how are your standard burgards?

Dave400ex
09-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Well I always thought LT was the way to go, but I think I will just stick with the Standard length setup. I'm still interested to hear about the difference it makes for Pappy.

Pappy
09-10-2003, 09:03 PM
the standard burgards are fine. i run them because they are inexpensive and hold up as well as any other.

his new design are more competitively priced with other manufactures and seem to be doing awesome.

i am looking forward to riding on the LT....i dont have high hope of a spectacular difference....but excited none the less

bleupoud
09-10-2003, 11:00 PM
sure long travel could allow more wheel travel and better ride

jlhughes750
09-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Pappy, u will notice a difference. Next D6 i'll let u take the R for a rip.... I went from leagers, with axis 16inch std. width...rode for a few days, then over the weekend bolted on the Gibson XC long travel arms, with Axis 19inch shocks.. holy cow!!!! i felt like i lost a few pounds and had been in training.. What a ride!!!! The shocks feel like thay have more room to work, like 3 inches more to work!!!! The bike feels like an MXer in the turns, stable no 2 wheelin. and sticks and logs in the trails are never felt, the extra length allows them to be valved real soft on the top of the stroke, so u never feel the lil ****e!!!! I'm pleased with mine, there definenly worth ever penny and then some!!!! Plus with the Gibson arms u never have to worry about smashing or denting the lower arms, they have more clearance than any arm on the market!!!!
later, J

Dave400ex
09-12-2003, 09:03 PM
I wonder how well those Vector a-arms work? I've only seen Ballance and Smiley running them. Haven't seen them advertised any where. Are those only for the Pro's?

sparky450AR
09-12-2003, 10:41 PM
i heard long travel was hard to get used to....but when you get used to it it rocks...you can land like this /

lol

sparky450AR
09-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I wonder how well those Vector a-arms work? I've only seen Ballance and Smiley running them. Haven't seen them advertised any where. Are those only for the Pro's?

good question, those things look awesome

400exBro
10-01-2003, 06:28 PM
bump!!!!
i am starting to debate this now too, i am thinking it might be cheapier to cheap the ex go with standered travel JD a arms, elka, and get a 416...
i need a truck so that is an easy 11 grand out of my pocket plus i am going to go to a college or universty soon and that is another 8 + grand a year for 5 years, it all adds up...
so maybe i will get out of racing and just ride for fun, or jsut race 1 or two racing... **** life is a *****, so many things just jump up that are more improtant in life... rrrr help!!!

nacs400ex
10-02-2003, 03:22 PM
I would go standard and 416, stock 400ex's arent too powerful. But get the suspension first. The bike has to handle good before you can go faster. I would stay with racing. But thats me, you have to decide for yourself.

Toadz400
10-02-2003, 05:01 PM
so what would be the best standard to go? i have works triple rates w/ rezzies right now, and i'm thinking of going either with +3 or +2 burgard.