PDA

View Full Version : Grips for mudd?

400exvet
09-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Just wondering what others have found to be the best mud grips for twist throttles. I have regular Scott grips with the wires tied on. They still spin in really wet mud . After fatigue sets in, my grip on the throttle starts to spin also! Is there a grip with some sort of teeth or even a flat spot that would keep you from having to squeeze the throttle to get it to turn? Or, maybe a clip on type grip that you could put on just for the really messy stuff, like Rausch Creek on Labor day weekend? Thanks

cdalejef
09-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Its not the grip, its what your using to glue them on!
The best thing I have found is 3M weather strip adheasive. You can get it from Napa.
First use sand paper to rough up the bars and throttle tube if you have a twist. Next clean bars and tube with brake cleaner. Once the brake cleaner is dry, apply 3M to the bars and the inside of the grip. Slip the grip over the bar fast because the 3M will setup pretty quick. Let sit overnight

note: if you use twist and have the end of the tube cut off for handguards, DONOT put 3M in that grip. The glue will end of under the throttle tube and cause your throttle to stick. Only apply it to the outside of the tube.

I have used this product for years and never had a problem with grips slipping, no matter what brand of grip it is.

hope this helps,

Doibugu2
09-08-2003, 04:29 PM
How hard is it to get the old glue off?

Rico also said you have some new super dooper grips coming in that Rick found or something like that. Do you have them yet. If you do, send me a set.

cdalejef
09-08-2003, 04:35 PM
I use a razor blade to cut the old grip off and scrape the 3M off the bars.

Those new grips are called Spider Grips www.spidergrips.com . I used them saturday for the first time. I am very picky about grips and I think I found my new favorites!!!
I don't normally get blisters but I almost always get calises (sp)
After saturdays race, there were no traces of calises (sp) or blisters at all. As a matter of fact, my hands didn't even look or feel like I had raced.

09-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
As a matter of fact, my hands didn't even look or feel like I had raced.

smartazzzzz:grr:

cdalejef
09-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Even the world famous Johnny C is gonna give them a try!

batgeek
09-08-2003, 06:49 PM
i used to have troubles with my grips....

hockey tape....yes hockey tape.
clean up your handlebars, apply the hockey tape, squeez your favorite grip glue(i use Renthal) on the tape, put on yer grips.

works like a charm!

dhines
09-09-2003, 07:01 AM
I've said it many times before - superglue and gasoline - works every time.

09-09-2003, 07:19 AM
I pound mine on dry.......:eek:

Doibugu2
09-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I pound mine on dry.......:eek:

Talking about setting me up for a slam dunk. But I'll just let it go. I could have so much fun with what you just said.

cdalejef
09-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by dhines
I've said it many times before - superglue and gasoline - works every time. Huffing is illeagle Hines!!!:mad:

Pappy
09-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Huffing is illeagle Hines!!!:mad:

anyone else think that was slapnutz:huh

09-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Talking about setting me up for a slam dunk. But I'll just let it go. I could have so much fun with what you just said.

I didn't say i pound on mine dry....dummy

I said i pound mine on dry...big difference ya sicko.......:mad:

Doibugu2
09-09-2003, 09:22 AM
I didn't say i pound on mine dry....dummy

I said i pound mine on dry...big difference ya sicko.......:mad:

yea, I believe that is just called a play on words. You hillbillys are a crazy breed.

09-09-2003, 10:49 AM
yea, I believe that is just called a play on words. You hillbillys are a crazy breed.

Oh yeah Doug I got me some of these spider grips today...i'll let ya know how they work...:blah:

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-09-2003, 10:52 AM
what happen to putting the grips on with grip glue, and letting them sit overnight? :huh

dhines
09-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Grip glue + water (from creek crossings, etc) = dual twist throttles

lil400exman
09-09-2003, 10:57 AM
i will try em..........:D

Doibugu2
09-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Oh yeah Doug I got me some of these spider grips today...i'll let ya know how they work...:blah:

You know I need them. When I crashed, I ripped one of them off again.

Just tell Jeffro to send me some and charge the CC.

Doibugu2
09-09-2003, 01:44 PM

Hey, Jeff just told me you took my Red Grips. Either bring them back to Jeff or send them to me!:mad:

QuadTrix6
09-09-2003, 01:56 PM
get the grips that lock on to the bars they look real nice

cdalejef
09-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Hey, Jeff just told me you took my Red Grips. Either bring them back to Jeff or send them to me!:mad: :eek: