PDA

View Full Version : XR 400 and today

Martin Blair
09-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Well i wnt riding today and the 400 is runing great it can wheely wihout thinking its got alot of power downlow and mid and its not that fast with the low gearing but its great in the woods im am starting to use 5th little in racing which is good i like to use all the gears, but still dotn hit 5th much.

But the real point is my uncle who has never owned anythign but a honda 450 rebel 35 years ago bought a xr400 to come ride with ema dn my dad, and damn those suckers got alot of lowend with a pipe and good filter i wasnt use to the bike since i only ride little 80, its is tall like 36in seat heigh and im only 5' 6" i was the only one who coudl raely ride it at all, my uncle needs to learn, but it seems like a sweet bike i would like one its at our house now where checking it over, its a 1996 it great condition we picked it up with a D&D carbon fiber pipe, so fmf brrs, acerbis black plastic and handgrauds and a uni filter for only 2 grand.

My question is that it burns oil and i was thinking that this is probably expected for a 9 year old bike am i correct? Also what it the vavle clearence same as the 400ex?

Jay300ex
09-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Those are good bikes my dad has one and I used to ride a 250. The valve clearances might be the same but I would call someone and find out. What do you mean a 9 year bike that thing will last 50 years if maintained. If it is burning oil there is a few things that could be wrong... too much oil, or bad piston rings is usually how oil gets into the cylinder and burns.

Hope this helps.

Jay

09-08-2003, 04:50 AM
in town there doing construction and they issue them XR400's to boot around town to get lunch and move from site to site, i keep seeing them riding everywhere in town and when i do all im thinking is "torque torque torque :eek2: " i want to ask one of them if i can try it out. lets see, maybe today
:D