PDA

View Full Version : a batlle of leverage

nj300exr
09-07-2003, 04:30 PM
ok so i was reading the thread of the fight between jeff and qaudtrix 6. now i am not hear to start any fight what so everbut at the beggining i was siding with jeff, just do to my common sense of levereage, thinkin basicallyoff a see-saw, then i got thinkin, changing the ofset is not changing the distance between the shock mount on the a-arm and the pivot point, where the a-rm meeats the frame, soo to me, if any pressure were to be added due to the wheel offset it would be to the hub beacause the the pressuere from the weight of the qaud is still resting at the same spot, the hub, sooo does that make sense to anyone else?

user101
09-07-2003, 06:03 PM
ummmm....no

ReconRider25
09-07-2003, 07:41 PM
it makes sense. it would make the part of the a-arms to the inside of the shock mounts the shorter end, which would make it harder to bottom out due to more force being need to push on that end....although it sure dosent seem like it when riding....:ermm:

09-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by nj300exr
ok so i was reading the thread of the fight between jeff and qaudtrix 6. now i am not hear to start any fight what so everbut at the beggining i was siding with jeff, just do to my common sense of levereage, thinkin basicallyoff a see-saw, then i got thinkin, changing the ofset is not changing the distance between the shock mount on the a-arm and the pivot point, where the a-rm meeats the frame, soo to me, if any pressure were to be added due to the wheel offset it would be to the hub beacause the the pressuere from the weight of the qaud is still resting at the same spot, the hub, sooo does that make sense to anyone else?

Just know that offsets will NOT affect shock leverage like a arms because the added leverage from the offset goes to the upper a arms, spindles, hubs, hub studs, and tie rods ( thats why there is added bumpsteer.) Throw out all you know about moving your hand further out on a wrench, pencil, sea saw, ratchet, etc to increase leverage. We are dealing with a dual a arm set up not a single a arm setup. Lets leave it at that. :scary:

09-08-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
Just know that offsets will NOT affect shock leverage like a arms because the added leverage from the offset goes to the upper a arms, spindles, hubs, hub studs, and tie rods ( thats why there is added bumpsteer.) Throw out all you know about moving your hand further out on a wrench, pencil, sea saw, ratchet, etc to increase leverage. We are dealing with a dual a arm set up not a single a arm setup. Lets leave it at that. :scary: :D dough here we go again :D

Guy400
09-08-2003, 05:34 AM
Should I lock this one before the claws come out?:confused2

09-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Should I lock this one before the claws come out?:confused2

I think these threads should stay open because people are still asking and want to know the answer. The thing that gets me is, we know the answer, its just cant be said with out starting flames because people do not want to believe it. :ermm:

QuadTrix6
09-08-2003, 06:53 PM
I say put it in the FAQ

09-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
:D dough here we go again :D :confused2
BTW, it is spelled BATTLE ;)

popo
09-09-2003, 03:41 AM
I say lock the god dahm thing, sense it will end up back to a *****ing match.