PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Toe-in

Chanman420q
09-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Well i got my a arms and now im faced with something i didnt expect. adjusting the toe in :(

i know u adjust it on the tire rods, now which end do i adjust it on, would it make a diffrance if one has more threads showing than another? or should they be equal from top to bottom? also whats the best way to do it.

Natertot426ex
09-07-2003, 01:51 PM
The best way to do it at first make sure you have close to the same amount of threads on each end. To adjust it is all you have to keep the jam nuts loose and then just turn the rod its self. The ball joints are reversed threads of each other. so if you turn the rod one way it will bring the tired in and the other way it will turn it out. Put you handlebars like the thing is going straight then measure from the front part of the rim on one to the front part of the rim on the other. Once you have that done measure the back of the rims. If you want more to in the front measurement should less than the back. Most people want more toe in. I think I did about a 1/4 in differnce between the two. If you don't understand what I said let me know.

Nate

Duncanracer
09-07-2003, 07:22 PM
ok my toe in is completely different on both sides..how do i adjust each side so they are at least the same...or am i just retarded and not seeing the answer lol...

Chanman420q
09-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
The best way to do it at first make sure you have close to the same amount of threads on each end. To adjust it is all you have to keep the jam nuts loose and then just turn the rod its self. The ball joints are reversed threads of each other. so if you turn the rod one way it will bring the tired in and the other way it will turn it out. Put you handlebars like the thing is going straight then measure from the front part of the rim on one to the front part of the rim on the other. Once you have that done measure the back of the rims. If you want more to in the front measurement should less than the back. Most people want more toe in. I think I did about a 1/4 in differnce between the two. If you don't understand what I said let me know.

Nate

:huh

09-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
:huh

What dont you understand, :confused: i think he explained it pretty clear. :cool:

He is saying try to keep the same amount of threads on each side of the tierod. The balljoints are reverse threaded and the tierods are regular or the other way around but its like that so when u spin the tierod they will both push out or pull in so u can adjust the tire. He also said to measure toe in put your handlebars straight and measure from the front of the tire and the rear of the tire. That difference is the toe in. You want the front to measure less then the rear. He did a 1/4 inch toe in (1/8 on each side) but i prefer 1/8 of toe in (1/16 on each side.) Any toe in from 1/4 to 1/32 is fine. some even prefer no toe in. just dont do toe out.

Chanman420q
09-07-2003, 08:38 PM
ok thats a little better, so i want my tires pointing an eighth of an inch in?

09-07-2003, 08:40 PM
ok thats a little better, so i want my tires pointing an eighth of an inch in?

yep :D

Chanman420q
09-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
yep :D

why is this? wouldnt that make that make the tire wear down a little faster since its kind of like a bind going forward? and is the perpose of it for turning?

09-07-2003, 08:56 PM
why is this? wouldnt that make that make the tire wear down a little faster since its kind of like a bind going forward? and is the perpose of it for turning?

On dirt there is not enough grip to considerably wear your tires. Im sure the toe in may wear it faster but not noticably.Yea the toe in is for turning.

Chanman420q
09-07-2003, 09:04 PM
one last question, how do i messure this 1/8 of an inch

09-08-2003, 08:30 AM
one last question, how do i messure this 1/8 of an inch

measure from the inside of the front of the front tire and the inside of the rear of the front tire. You want the front measurement 1/8 inch less then the rear.

Chanman420q
09-08-2003, 09:49 AM
thanx man :)