PDA

View Full Version : Help! Rust In Gas Tank

sneaky
09-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if you have rust in your metal gas tank? My friends dad wanted me to check his atv out and figure out why it wouldn't run, upon checking things out I noticed the gas tank (Metal) has rust all over the bottom of the tank. Looks like the rust is turning loose and clogging up the carb. The atv is a 1986 Kawi Bayou 300 2wd. We went by the local Kawi dealer and asked for a price for a new tank, they told us it would be 394.00 for a new one. :eek:

I have also located a plastic tank from clarke for 170.00, but that also seems high. Tried everywhere I could find on the internet looking for a used one, but no luck.

Question is could I remove the tank and somehow clean out the rust, then reseal it with something so it want rust again. I know it would have to be sealed with something that the gas wouldn't break down or disolve. If anyone can help me with this please respond with any ideals.

09-06-2003, 08:45 PM
check around or on ebay for a used plastic one. I think your best bet is to just go for the plastic new or used. Maybe try and find a good condition used metal one. You probably can take it out clean out the rust and repaint it. Im not sure on what type of paint though. good luck :cool:

big-guy
09-07-2003, 09:38 AM
You can get gas tank reconditioner at most motorcycle shops, or dennis kirk etc. you basically knock all the rust loose with some chain, then swirl this goop around inside then pour it out.

09-07-2003, 11:36 AM
my 3 wheeler was the same way...buy a plastic one & it'll be fine.

sneaky
09-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Thanks guys, I think I am going to try the Kreem 3 part kit....

jerry-89-250R
09-19-2003, 09:03 PM
also put a fuel filter in the gas line

sneaky
09-20-2003, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I have already used the Kreem kit and put a in line filter.....