PDA

View Full Version : Carb Help...

apalusso
09-05-2003, 02:36 AM
I have a 01 Honda 400ex... I am trying to rejet my bike, but need some assistance. Do I need to take off the carb to get to the main jet? I am planning to do this project later today or this weekend and could use some assistance in this project. Could you please provide some tips what to do. As you can tell I am a newbe to quad maintenance. Thanks

Aaron

300exOH
09-05-2003, 02:55 AM
I don't think you HAVE to take it off but it may make it easier. You may be able to loosten the clamps and twist the carb to get to the jets. You will have to drain and remove the lower bowl to change the main jets. Take your time. Make sure things are very clean. You may want to wash the quad well before starting. Be patient! It may take a couple tries to get it right. DON'T overtighten the jets, they are brass and are VERY soft. Hope this helps.

cals400ex
09-05-2003, 03:22 AM
no, you don't need to take the carb off to change the mainjet. on the bottom of the bowl on the carb, there is a plug. you will need a 17mm socket to take this off. after you get that off, the mainjet is right there. like mentioned above, the mainjets don't go in much tighter than hand tight.

ewalker302
09-11-2003, 01:23 AM
Yeah it's tricky to swap jets the first time w/o removing the carb.
Drain the fuel bowl & turn off the gas first or you will get a flood of gas.
Once you get the cap off there you will need a 6mm socket to remove the stock main its almost flush with the bottom of the carb, you will have to lie down or get your head in there to see the main.

I you are replacing the main with a dynojet you will need a very short, stubby flathead screwdiver to put in the dynojet.

But its cheaper to buy a five pack of keihin jets.
just figure out what range jets you need & they have 10 different sets w/varying sizes & only cost about 20 bucks (dynojet $50+)

one tip -- the crankcase vent tube is right in the way & is easy to move out of the way. If you do this be sure to plug the hole in the crankcase. I dont think a little gas in there would be the end of the world, but you sure dont want to drop a jet in there.
:bandit: