PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Dunlap!?

quadman21
09-05-2003, 01:15 AM
Hey, some time ago you made a water cooled 400EX , what kind of water pump did you use? I'm not trying to make my ex water cooled, but I was brainstorming an idea but need an external water pump. Most are of course gear driven. Does any one else have any thoughts of where I could find a water pump that can be used externaly and not gear driven?

wyndzer
09-05-2003, 04:00 AM
Depends how much water you want to pump and the size pump you need. A fuel pump will move water and is electric.

wilkin250r
09-05-2003, 04:22 AM
You'll probably need more flow than a fuel pump will offer. Most small electric fuel pumps don't flow more than about 1 gallon every 5 mins or so. However, they do make high-flow 12V electric water pumps, try a web search.

You would possibly need to upgrade your stator to higher output in order to run the pump and the lights at the same time.

quadman21
09-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the reply. No worry on the lights, I took them off a long time ago. Basically I'm brainstorming an idea for an oil tank that will incorporate cooling lines through the tank. It's most likely more trouble than it's worth but Ill see when I get all the parts collected.

wilkin250r
09-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Is there some reason that you think the stock oil pump in your engine won't work?

quadman21
09-05-2003, 10:28 AM
Oh no, nothing like that. everything is fine with my pump. I'm just going to make a bigger 3qt oil tamk. Then I started to think of better ways to cool the oil. So for fun I thought of running aluminum tubes inside the oil tank (that I'm making) to carry coolant through to help cool the oil inside the tank. Than just pick up a small banshee or R radiator and electric water pump. I know it's more trouble than it's worth but it would be interesting to see if would actually work.

MIKE400EX
09-05-2003, 10:47 AM
I seem to remember that some of the KTM's used an electric water pump - might be wrong though.

09-05-2003, 07:22 PM
don't u need jets in the engine to shoot the water out??

F-16Guy
09-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
don't u need jets in the engine to shoot the water out??
:confused: :confused: :confused:

09-06-2003, 09:41 PM
well i mean u gotta have the things in ur engine i jsut called them jets to get the water to cool the engine. I don't understand how this is possible. Someone plz tell me if i am right or wrong?

Diedrich
09-06-2003, 10:36 PM
i think hes talkin about just running water thru lines in his oil tank to cool the oil in it. but i could be taken it wrong

UglyMotha™
09-07-2003, 07:52 AM
well i mean u gotta have the things in ur engine i jsut called them jets to get the water to cool the engine. I don't understand how this is possible. Someone plz tell me if i am right or wrong?

it's called a water pump not a jet :huh a water pump is what circulates water thru out an engine

UglyMotha™
09-07-2003, 08:14 AM
also quadman you got a good idea and all but i believe you would just be better off making a 3qt tank and running pipes horizontally all the way thru it from front to back so air can circulate and it will do just as good as your water idea but it will save you the headache and added weight of the water cooled oil rezzy idea it's a really good idea though but i think it would be more practical and efficiant if you air cool it instead, this is just my oppinion though;)

09-07-2003, 10:49 AM
yeh i knew that but how does the water circulate through the engine then cuz if u just pumped it in there it would just sit there.

BadA$$440
09-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by holeshot19
if chad rode the 500ex with a fst oil cooler and a pingry oil tank dont u think that would be enough. i say the less u put on one the less likely it will fail.

Chad had a 500ex that FST fabricated it to be water cooled. I know the guy that owns it hes also a member on here.

wilkin250r
09-08-2003, 12:52 AM
So you want to create a heat-exchanger between the oil reservoir and an external radiator? It can be done, but it's not going to be very efficient. It will be extremely heavy, and I doubt that you will cool it any more than a standard oversized oil cooler.

Water is very efficient to carry large amounts of heat, and to dissipate it into air through a radiator. However, there needs to be an BIG difference between the air temp and the engine temp to make this efficient.

When your oil goes through the oil cooler, and sits in the external reservoir, it actually cools down considerably. At this point, the difference in tempurature between the oil and the surrounding isn't all that great, so further liquid cooling isn't going to be very efficient.

water sitting at 102 degrees celsius (it doesn't boil because it's under pressure) will cool down to 80 degrees after going through a radiator. That's a significant drop. However, if that water is only 70 degrees to begin with (remember, this is Celsius, this corresponds to about 180 degrees Fahrenheit) then it will only cool to about 62 degrees, and even less on a hot summer day at the dunes. Multiply this by the efficiency loss across the heat exchanger that you are planning, and you end up with unknown (but significant) costs in fabrication, as well as adding probably 20-30 lbs of junk, to get maybe a 5 degree difference. Like I said, you can get that by using an oversized oil cooler. If you use it in CONJUNCTION with the oversized oil cooler, I bet you see less than a 3 degree difference.

BIGRED400
09-08-2003, 05:19 AM
I know drag racers use cool cans to cool fuel for more HP ,might try this rig with oil with dry ice or regular ice ..might have to experiment with how much...once you figure it out keep a temp. gauge on the lid of the can....just a thought....it is reasonable but will it work??Here's the link http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1491&prmenbr=361and another one http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2716&prmenbr=361 take care

2002 400Ex
some goodies
2003CR85

quadman21
09-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Anyway, I was only thinking about the idea. It's nothing concrete. I also know it will end up being one big headache. I just thought it would be fun to build and see if it would work. The route I'll go is 3qt oil tank, larger oil cooler, and shrouds. So one more question, when I get the larger oil cooler, how do I get around the connections? In other words, the pressed fittings on the lines to the stock cooler vs. a genaric aftermarket larger cooler? The FST kit is not out of the question, I just don't want to tap my sidecase and head cover.

UglyMotha™
09-08-2003, 10:32 AM
yeh i knew that but how does the water circulate through the engine then cuz if u just pumped it in there it would just sit there.

no the water pumped in pumps the water out :huh

holeshot19
09-08-2003, 10:35 AM
if chad rode the 500ex with a fst oil cooler and a pingry oil tank dont u think that would be enough. i say the less u put on one the less likely it will fail.