PDA

View Full Version : sparks 8 plate clutch owners

cals400ex
09-04-2003, 05:32 PM
i have had a sparks 8 plate clutch in for a while and i am wondering how much play you have in your clutch lever? when the dealer installed my clutch, they put it just to the point where it has no play. when i pull in the clutch i can feel something very lightly catch or bind when the lever is about 1/2 inch from the hand grip. i am not sure what this is but it has always done it since this clutch was installed. also, did anyone else notice that their bike doesn't shift quite as smooth with this clutch in?

Glamis400ex
09-06-2003, 10:28 PM
I have the same clutch, and will be very bummed if it doesn't shift as smooth as the stocker...

I will be installing mine here next week.

Glamis

09-06-2003, 10:40 PM
your suppose to have play in your clutch at all times i forget how many mm it was

MIKE400EX
09-07-2003, 09:52 AM
It's not shifting as smooth probably because the clutch is not disengaging completely. A simple adjustment at the lever and/or case should fix that.

OutlawEX
09-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Get ahold of nacsracer27 as he has a 8 plate set up

cals400ex
09-08-2003, 01:32 AM
i guess the rougher shifting was because i had no play in the handle. that is just how the dealer set it so i thought that is how it was meant to be. it was weird because i was noticing that it would shift a lot smoother if i did not pull the clutch all the way back to the hand grip. i guess the springs were being compressed too far. i now have little play in the lever and it works great. i like the clutch, it doesn't slip. then again, i am not hard on it either.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-08-2003, 01:13 PM
The clutch free play at the lever should be about the width of a nickel:)

pnut420
09-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Yeah I set mine at a quarter or nickle width. Alot of guys want it comletley tight for faster shifts, when it is really quicker to shift it with a nickle width play, its like giving a ropw 2 coils when you beachstart.