PDA

View Full Version : What else should I do to my 416 engine?

j37
09-04-2003, 04:06 PM
I currently have a 416 with Hot Cam 2 cam, Duncan Racing Double Barrel pipe and UNI air filter w/o the airbox lid. It has quite a bit of power and its fast but since I got moved up to amateur it doesnt seem to have enough power to hang with everybody unlike in novice. I want to get a CRF450 engine but it might be a little while before I get the money for one so what else should a do for a good boost in power with my 400ex engine? Im thinking about maybe going to a 425 or whatever size you can reliably bore it out to without resleeving. Im also considering a port and polish job and possibly another cam it just all depends on how much money I feel like spending when I go to do some more engine work. Any other consideratons on what I should do? What cam would be a good choice and who does good porting and polishing? Thanks

JD400exrider
09-04-2003, 07:44 PM
fcr 39 You won't be disapointed ;)

kargaaro
09-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Yes, Porting is good and should be done to any race motor but best boost will come from an fcr 39

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-05-2003, 03:50 AM
I would agree the 39mm FCR, this might be another option play around with the gearing.

09-05-2003, 04:00 AM
ive heard not to mess with the carb,i was told everyone has problems when they switch

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
ive heard not to mess with the carb,i was told everyone has problems when they switch

:confused: :confused:
Many people have switched to the 39mm and have been pleased with that decision, I am not sure what problems people are having. I haven't touched my card since it was put on my bike other than put the anodized fuel screw in it and I did turn the idle up and down..

09-05-2003, 04:23 AM
just wat i heard, they said ex wont run as good as a stock carb

RAPTORAZ
09-07-2003, 08:17 PM
A 39mm FCR should definately be your next upgrade. You won't be disappointed.

skemp
09-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
A 39mm FCR should definately be your next upgrade. You won't be disappointed.

Most definitely. :)
What is your gearing now, and what kinds of tracks do you ride? I might be able to offer a few suggestions based off this info.

I would say porting and a carb. You should notice a big difference there. You already have suspension, otherwise that would have been my first suggestion.

lilpoppy
09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
I agree with everyone else get the carb first and then the porting if you want. I have never had to do anything to my FCR and I have had it for close to a year. It works great.

pnut420
09-08-2003, 07:04 PM
After putting the FCR39MM on my brothers stock 400 with just a pipe, I havent even adjusted it perfect and their was a huge improvement over his mikini that I think came off a XR400, and it seems to be pulling way harder than mine ever did when I had a stock carb...

But I would rather send in my stock carb and have port and polishing to match then to just run a FCR and not do porting. I'd say do the FCR and port the heads, then if you ever want to setup big time do a 440 stroker(416 bore) or a 465 stroker (440 bore) and put in a webcam, do hardned rockers, springs, etc...

Juggalo
09-08-2003, 07:30 PM
stroke it to 440 instead of boring to 426. notice i said stroke to 440, not bore.

Chanman420q
09-08-2003, 07:32 PM
id go for the carb as well, it was the first thing that popped into my mind when i read that, then scrolled down an was like oh... well... nvm..lol

maybe a valve angle job? im not sure what it does but i see it done to a lot of bikes, so it must do something

09-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q

maybe a valve angle job? im not sure what it does but i see it done to a lot of bikes, so it must do something

:huh

j37
09-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Hmm everybody seems to say to get a carb. But is it really worth the money? Better than porting and polishing? I dont want to do alot of engine work like resleeving or stroking just bore it a little bit because I think my engine is getting tired from all the hard usage from racing and riding hard. What kind of cam should I get because I hear bad stuff about Hot Cams but even though I havent had any trouble with mine yet I dont want anything to happen to it in the future.

skemp
09-08-2003, 08:23 PM
A carb and porting work very well together, but if you can only do one, buy an FCR. I like TC MX grind cams, but the wait sucks. :o

Honda250x
09-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Sorry about this guys but it wouldent let me post a new poll.Do you guys think it is really worth it to do a full 250x/350x conversion on my bike?I can do it all for 709.90 with the motor and everything.How is the power and it is going to last me?

09-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Honda250x
Sorry about this guys but it wouldent let me post a new poll.Do you guys think it is really worth it to do a full 250x/350x conversion on my bike?I can do it all for 709.90 with the motor and everything.How is the power and it is going to last me?

it will be fine for u

pnut420
09-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Go port and polishing first, then do the carb, if you have the exhaust and bore, you need to open up the air flow more, not dump in more fuel, go porting, then carb.....

Chanman420q
09-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Go port and polishing first, then do the carb, if you have the exhaust and bore, you need to open up the air flow more, not dump in more fuel, go porting, then carb.....

that does make a lot of sence, instead of forcing more fuel threw the stock ports, make the ports bigger then get the carb. Ur stock carb will still work, id send the head and the carb out to be ported and bored

09-09-2003, 07:50 PM
i heard rocky ridge does a good job on carbs. or i think sparks does it too.

lilpoppy
09-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Really the carb the porting and the exhaust all work together. If you don't have all three then you aren't gonna get the most out of any of the mods and I gurantee slapping on a carb is a lot easier than tearing your engine down so I would suggest the carb first. The porting might be cheaper than a FCR though but I think you will feel more from that than the porting. I don't know just weigh the options and do what works for you.

09-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
Really the carb the porting and the exhaust all work together. If you don't have all three then you aren't gonna get the most out of any of the mods and I gurantee slapping on a carb is a lot easier than tearing your engine down so I would suggest the carb first. The porting might be cheaper than a FCR though but I think you will feel more from that than the porting. I don't know just weigh the options and do what works for you.

word.

Dave400ex
09-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Get the FCR. Then call Rocky Ridge and get a TC MX Cam. I would also have Rocky Ridge do a Port/Polish.

cals400ex
09-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Honda250x

ya, what is the deal with not being able to post new threads?