PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Oil Tank.......Any Help

Bad Habit
09-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Has anyone had this problem?????? Here I am 5 days away from a week long riding trip and I noticed this on my quad tonite.:eek: :mad: HELP PLEASE
It appears it's leaking from where the washer that's imbedded in the rubber grommet meets up with the drain on the tank.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p7911a6f3eac49a4749277ffa4c0019f0/fb2e7d1e.jpg

Pappy
09-04-2003, 03:33 PM
its possibly a hairline crack where the down spout meets the tank:scary:

Bad Habit
09-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Ya, that's a possibility. I haven't taken it off yet to inspect it, but I wiped it off when I first noticed it and came back about 2 hours later. It kinda appears that the oil is oozing up from inside the rubber. I dunno, looks like a late night now.:mad:

F-16Guy
09-04-2003, 03:55 PM
That's a really common place for it to crack. If you can get the drain bolt out without busting it completely, remove your oil tank, take it to a professional welder, and have him reinforce it. In the future, use a torque wrench to ensure that you don't over-tighten that plug, or the plug on the side of your engine.

Pappy
09-04-2003, 03:56 PM
the updated tanks have a reinforcing plate to help prevent the spout from flexing.

Bad Habit
09-04-2003, 04:02 PM
What is the stock tank made of? I've heard aluminium and I've heard stainless steel. I have no idea. My 17 yr old nephew just started back up his Vo-Tech classes at school. And honestly, that little fart can lay some beautiful welds with a TIG. He just might have a new class project Monday.

stupid driver
09-04-2003, 04:10 PM
the tank is made of aluminum

Bad Habit
09-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the quick help guys. Much appreciated.:cool:

Woodsrider
09-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Get it fixed and start replacing the crush washer at every oil change. And if you're a real torque ape then use a torque wrench. After a while, You will learn the right torque and feel when the crush washer gives and the torque wrench will no longer be needed. LOL I bet a crush over a 100 of those washers a week at work;)

JOEX
09-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Get it fixed and start replacing the crush washer at every oil change. And if you're a real torque ape then use a torque wrench. After a while, You will learn the right torque and feel when the crush washer gives and the torque wrench will no longer be needed. LOL I bet a crush over a 100 of those washers a week at work;)
Anyplace other then your work or Service Honda to the crush washers? What is the actual size of them? I'm sure someone other than Honda makes them;)

Joe

Woodsrider
09-04-2003, 04:51 PM
HMMM thats a good question. I know there is a fab shop thats been trying to sell there washers to our parts department. I'll see if I can get the name of the shop and give them a call, To date I think all they're making is the 14mm ones for the car oil pan drain bolts. I dont have a set here to measure but I think they are a 12mm and a 14mm. Been a while since I actually looked at them:o

I know they're kind of spendy when you have to pay for them. But there cheaper than a oil tank or a side cover;) And Service honda wants WAYYYYYY too much for them:grr:

F-16Guy
09-04-2003, 05:00 PM
You should be able to pick up some metric aluminum drain plug washers at an auto parts store. Soggyrider's right, they're not meant to be reused (although they usually are). Once they've been crushed, it takes more torque to make them seal properly.

JOEX
09-04-2003, 05:00 PM
Service Honda wants $1.09 for the oil tank washer. That seems a bit much to me for a sliver of metal. There has to be a better deal out there somewhere.

Joe

KAWSAM62
09-05-2003, 02:38 AM
its made of aluminum and the only way to weld it is tig welding, i cut mine in half welded it back togethere and gained a extra qt of oil!:D

Bad Habit
09-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Well, some one must be looking after me. Thank goodness the tank was not cracked. It was leaking from around the crush washer. Now the part where I feel like a real dumb*****. I never knew there was a crush washer in there! I couldn't tell you how many oil changes I've done and the washer never came out. I just thought it was a regular steel washer. I even had the rubber grommet out when I pc'd the frame, the washer stayed in the grommet. I thought that it was imbedded in there, and it actually was a little bit. My grommet has a groove that the washer sets in, I had to pop it out. And yes, that washer was toast. Live and learn I quess, but boy was I tense there for a little while.:confused2

Soggyrider wins a beer on me:D . Good advise and thanks.

09-07-2003, 10:20 AM
most of the time they crack there its from overtightening ,i cracked mine there when my frame it the ground and a big rock hit it, i took it off, straightened it out, bought some jb weld cleaned the surface and put it on and rode for about a year maybe,it was at least a few montsh, then i bought a new one there a lil over 100 from honda