View Full Version : Pappy, I have an idea

skemp
09-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Well, since I didn't find too much info about this in a search, I thought I could make a new thread.
I don't know how how many other people wonder, but I for one would like to know how the whole powdercoating process works. I know the basics, but I thought perhaps if you find some time you could explain what goes into powdercoating a part from the time it comes out of the box to to the time it goes back in. I have been thinking about giving powdercoating a try, but don't know what I could use for an oven, and didn't know what the entire process involved. I thought maybe this would allow me and possibly some other members to learn something about what you do so well. :)

Pappy
09-04-2003, 03:05 PM
basically it pretty simple....

the part has to be able to withstand temps of 450 degrees for up to an hour depending on the parts mass.

there cant be any rubber or plastic parts etc on the metal...

once the part is stripped...either by sandblasting or at larger operations burned off....it may have to be treated to remove any remaining grease and oils...or in the case of aluminum you may need to add certain chemicals back to the part so it wont oxidize. they sell a chemical treatment called picklex that is pretty common for small shops and or hobbiests.

once the part is properly stripped ...all areas that you dont want PC on or in need to be masked off with temp tape or plugged (like bolt holes etc)

then...after you select the color...you hang the part and attach a grounding wire. the gun is filled and you can shoot the part now. getting the right thickness takes some practice but isnt too hard. after the part is coated...in the oven it goes. most powders require 400 degrees for a period of 20 minutes. so ...once the actual part temperature reaches 400 degrees you time it for 20 minutes (or recommended cure time from the powder supplier)

after the curing is complete ....your done.

hope that helps ya:)

skemp
09-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Hmm, a lot simpler than I thought. That is one thing I never knew very much about. Thanks for the explanation. BTW, what kind of oven do you use? Did you fab a walk in oven, or do you use a smaller oven? What do you use for a heating element? Thanks Pappy :)

Pappy
09-04-2003, 03:18 PM
i used to use a simple house oven...then i built one that was propane fired...now i use the big oven at burgards shop.

for small stuff...an old house oven will work fine. just remeber that it cycles its heat and to compensate the temp will need to be set on 425

chucked
09-04-2003, 03:34 PM
does it chip as easily as paint? or is it more durable then paint?

Pappy
09-04-2003, 03:36 PM
pc is way more durable then paint. if its fully cured then chipping wont be much of a problem.....but roost filled with rocks will eventually take its toll. i had a baseball sized rock hit my quad at hatfield....took abig chunk of chrome off the a arm...but didnt hurt the pc anywhere. i geuss it depends on what hits where sometimes

chucked
09-04-2003, 03:56 PM
cool. i know its a real money maker to be doin this type of thing

Pappy
09-04-2003, 03:57 PM
yes and no....

i prefer do do small parts and the fancy colors more then anything. as long as the powder and expenses are paid for im happy:)

chucked
09-04-2003, 03:59 PM
sweet. you will be my man when i get my stuff powder coated, i live in b-more

Pappy
09-04-2003, 04:01 PM
i see that...i feel for ya:D

im movin outta maryland....ive had enough:devil:

where abouts in balmore u live?

chucked
09-04-2003, 04:06 PM
white marsh / middle river line. where u moving to?

Pappy
09-04-2003, 04:12 PM
west by god virginia:p

chucked
09-04-2003, 04:15 PM
cool. I would love to live there. I hate the 2 acre yard. and my neighbors calling the cops on me when i ride it in my yard (even when im only doing yard work)

DEAL
09-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by chucked
cool. I would love to live there. I hate the 2 acre yard. and my neighbors calling the cops on me when i ride it in my yard (even when im only doing yard work)

2 acre!
I only have half an Acre lawn :o

chucked
09-04-2003, 05:27 PM
well when my great grandfather first built the house he owned about 20 acres and it was all an orchard for all different types of apples (a front for his bootlegging business during the alcohol ban thing in the 1920's or whenever, i cant remember anything right now). he divided them up to sell right before he died, and left the one with his house with the most land (i would die to have the whole 20 back) its all commercial property here to so the neighbors cant complain about everything as they can in residential areas.

Pappy
09-04-2003, 05:36 PM
i grew up with free run on over 1500 acres....

when my parents split up i moved into the firehouse (i was 17) and from the firehouse to the house i live in now....1/8 acre at the most. its been along time since ive been able to jump on a quad and ride from the back door.:ermm:

JTRtrx250r
09-05-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
its been along time since ive been able to jump on a quad and ride from the back door.:ermm: I used to have the same luxery...GOD...you have no idea how much I miss it,had 20 acres w/ a 10 acre track in back on a hill side,many elevation changes,w/ all the goodies you'd find on a mx track*sigh*:(

BTW..Congrats on the new pad;)

09-05-2003, 09:46 AM
I thought about gettin into PCin but thought why the he11 do taht when i can send it too pappy.....:blah:

brokeitin3
09-05-2003, 10:47 AM
RICO i got pics of you doin the nasty pc jobs at hatfield, you nassy biouy!!!!!!

Merriman
09-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Pappy,

What type of PC gun do you use? What type of Gun would you recommend for starter PCer's?

Thanks

monkeyboy
09-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by brokeitin3
RICO i got pics of you doin the nasty pc jobs at hatfield, you nassy biouy!!!!!!

shuuut u facce bioy:mad:

talle u gurll ta fiix ma pot piiie:scary: :grr:

Pappy
09-05-2003, 01:54 PM
i have he eastwood model #1100 pro gun ....i use it mainly for frames or when i have to do a batch of a arms or swing arms and stems...

the small gun i also bought from eastwood. columbia has one offered also but i prefer the bottom feed cup on the eastwood gun.

you could do a frame with the hobby guns...but the problem i see with them is that the amount of current they can produce can cause some problems (its not enough) its not to bad on a single solid color...but when its a 3 layer powder it can be a real nightmare.

Merriman
09-05-2003, 02:09 PM
So your Eastwood 1100.........is that this?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=58100&Dep_Key1=pwct

It says "Hotcoat" just wondered if it was the same set up? If so then that's not a bad price to get started......:)

Pappy
09-05-2003, 06:50 PM
yep thats the one.

the gun is on sale also i believe.

flyin#5
09-05-2003, 07:22 PM
skemp, let me know if your going to give this a try. we are getting a new oven soon so we will have our old one (works great) still and we could probably work something out there if you dont already have an oven. id know id like some things pc'ed:)