PDA

View Full Version : holy oil batman!!

radchad3
01-29-2002, 11:12 AM
I have a question for all you knowledgable folks out there. I went to check my oil on my 400ex this last weekend and it read about three quarters of a inch from the bottom of the dipstick (the engine was warmed up) So I decided to go back up to the garage and put some oil in it. Just for kicks I decided to check it one more time and it read just to the top line on the stick. :huh I decided to not put any oil in it for the time being and road for another half hour. Before I put the bike away I checked it again and again the level was at the bottom of the stick. I can't figure out how I would get such a discrepency on readings. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any tricks to reading the oil level? Is this a characterstic of an external oil tank? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Chad

JabberJaw
01-29-2002, 11:39 AM
Ahhh! I see the problem! It's the dipstick checking the oil! :-)

JOEX
01-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Make sure you let the motor rest for about 5-10 minutes after it"s warmed before you check it.
It will read low if you don't.

Joe

400exRacerX
01-30-2002, 01:46 PM
Dry sump motors are very hard to get a accurate oil level reading from. I change my oil every time I go to the track. I just let it idle for 10 minutes on level ground then check the oil. It works good for me.