PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a new carrier?

400exbiggun
09-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Well my friend dropped off my 400ex and put it in my shed yesterday, but i just found it today:eek2:
anyway it was there cause it was 'broke' i finally got it apart, and it was the axle bearings...my NEW bearings might i add. Well i took the chain off, started to pull the axle out and plunk...plunk, all peices of bearing came falling out. I got it out and there was no noticable damage that i could see with all the grease in there. But i saw, the seal was totally gone also:confused2 , and the other bearing was PERFECT rolled fine, no catching, no grinding. But the other was shot.
any way i cleaned it all up and on the bad side(the sprocket side) the bearing is totally gone, except the bottom ring that is still in place. There are some pretty good scratches next to it, and in front of it. But no cracks, and no big chunks missing. Also the spot the bearing sits is ok i guess cause the ring is still there. My q is should i still get a new carrier, or will this do. I am on a tight budge3t now because of the dirt bike, and i dont think my mom will even let me order new bearings (i need to save for a car) so i have to 'secretly' order them:uhoh:
i mean there IS SCRATCHES, and a little small peice is damaged, but not tooooooo bad.
i would take a pic, but my digi is chit

Blysster
09-04-2003, 02:14 PM
I had the same thing happen to mine.

We had to cut the outer ring of the bearing to get it out. The rest of it was grinded to small pieces. My carrier had some grinding damage from the bearing pieces but the new bearing went in fine anyway and it has been fine since.

It depends on how much damage that was done to the inside of the carrier. By the sounds of things you should be alright with new bearing only.

Take a look at this thread.. hope it helps!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=33029&highlight=carrier

good luck,

P Gag

CowsBitePeople
09-04-2003, 02:14 PM
i think it might be fine u probably better off gettin new carrier in the long run though

Atreyu
09-04-2003, 02:16 PM
matt your carrier never came in yet??

CowsBitePeople
09-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
matt your carrier never came in yet??

nope....he says he swears it was sent out today or something andor it should be here tomorrow or friday:confused: