PDA

View Full Version : 400ex shocks on a 300ex

not2hi
09-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Can someone 'splain to me why 400ex front shocks won't fit on a 300ex when using that new upper shock mount thingy (ala Ebay)???

What is the deal with the lower mount that it won't work and requires the 400ex a-arms too?

or is it that the stock 400ex shock is just that much longer than the 300ex stock front shock?

How about in the rear...will a stock 400ex rear shock fit the 300ex rear? what mods can be done to get it to fit or is it just so far off that its virtually impossible?

Inquiring minds want to know...

THX

09-04-2003, 12:37 PM
It's not so much that ya can't do it but your changing the geometry of the front end too much and it won't ride worth a chit...:ermm:

Do a search on wheel offset and you'll learn enough about quad front ends to be an engineer in a few days...;)

300EX_HMF
09-04-2003, 01:23 PM
1st thing is this!! i dont care what everyone else says because i have done this to my 300ex and it made a world of a difference!!! some people say it makes the steering worse or soemthing like that but i think there wrong! i have done this and i know abot 10 other people that has done this.

the 400ex a-arms will fit, and the shocks will fit to if you have a correctly made shock mount !

Diedrich
09-04-2003, 05:13 PM
nobody said if u put the a-arms and shocks on there it'll ride like chit..hes sayin why cant u put JUST shocks.. yeah it will put the front end way to high man which will make the suspension worse..i got my shocks,a-arms, and tie rods for $125 so just buy all of it:D

hunterjnlf
09-22-2003, 01:03 PM
so are you running the 400 front end or the 250r a-arms? which do you think is better? I have worn bushings on my 300ex, and am debating whether to replace bushings and hope ball joints and rest of a-arms last, or to just bite the cost and replace entire a-arm with aftermarket?

dirtmomma
09-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by hunterjnlf
so are you running the 400 front end or the 250r a-arms? which do you think is better? I have worn bushings on my 300ex, and am debating whether to replace bushings and hope ball joints and rest of a-arms last, or to just bite the cost and replace entire a-arm with aftermarket? Well what kind of riding do you do?? I went w/ wider a arms for the stability, 400 a arms will fit & I think they are 1" wider a side(I could be wrong) I had mine fabricated & they are now +3 a side & it is SOOO stable, plus WIDER IS BETTER :D You can come across 400EX a arms for about $75 on here (I just got a pair) & the shocks also for a good deal (got those too) I tried to put the shocks on my 300 but yeah theyare definetly way to tall. Good luck w/ whatever you choose:cool:

ZSK
09-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 300EX_HMF
1st thing is this!! i dont care what everyone else says because i have done this to my 300ex and it made a world of a difference!!! some people say it makes the steering worse or soemthing like that but i think there wrong! i have done this and i know abot 10 other people that has done this.

the 400ex a-arms will fit, and the shocks will fit to if you have a correctly made shock mount !

Exactley what I wanted to say! If you fab the mount correctly it is night and day difference, to throw and old cliche in there. Total it added 3 inches to the front (width). The 400ex shocks won't work on the 300ex a-arms, because they are simply too long. You need to do the whole conversion.