PDA

View Full Version : Which Sprocket

ChadEXer
01-29-2002, 08:53 AM
Just wanting to ask a question about what sprocket I should use. I am getting the 416 installed on my bike and putting 20x11x9 XCR's on the rear. I will be doing a lot of drag racing. Whick sprocket should I use on the front and rear? I want awesome bottom end but need to keep the top too so I can run with the 2 strokes. What do you recommend?

oynot400
01-30-2002, 08:19 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but is that the same size of tire as the stockers? I would try running the stock set up 15-38. If you want more a cheap way to run is to buy the 16t front. Then if that is too much then stay with the 15 and start dropping teeth on the rear. You will get a more drastic change by switching the front sprocket, but you can "fine tune" with the rear.
Hope this helps...

ChadEXer
01-30-2002, 09:24 AM
im not sure if that is the same size as stock. I dont know if they are 20's or 22's. If I put a 16 on the front wont I lose my bottom end? Also do they make Red Label Douglas wheels for the 400. the Honda shop told me they dont make the offset for a 400. What offset do I need. I have a Durablue +4 axel.

oynot400
01-30-2002, 10:33 AM
Yes the 16 will take away from the bottom. With gearing it is give and take. If you want bottom end power you have to take away top end speed and if you want top speed you give up bottom end. You will have to play with it and find what works best. Right now I am running 14-36 which is a little lower gearing than stock. I am going to change to a 15-36 and try that for flat track.
Yes Douglas does make red lable rims with the 400ex bolt pattern, 4x110 I think. You should be able to get an off-set. You might have to go through Douglas to get it, or try Nac's. I know in there last cataloge they had a rim chart with off-set on it. I don't know what you would want. If you are at +4 you are already pretty wide with the stock rim step-up. How wide do you want to go?
Hope this helps...

ChadEXer
01-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Im not sure how wide I want to go. With the +4 the stock offset would be fine. I have douglas wheels on it now but I dont think they are red labels because they are bent a little in the back. i am trying to sell them with the Turf Tamers on them. How much top end would I lose if I go to the 14t front? I think maybe thats best running a 300ft strip. You think? Also do you know where I can find some of the new XCR's? I cant find anywhere that has any yet.

oynot400
01-30-2002, 12:30 PM
A 14-38 set up takes away a lot of top end. I tried it for a couple of races and all I was doing was shifting gears. It justs placed them too close together. Now that I went to a 36 rear it is better but then again it is close to the stock gear ratio. I am not into the drags like some so I can't tell you for sure what is the "right" set up for your bike. Each bike is a little different, exspecially when you start doing motor work. The best advice I can give you is to buy some cheap gears from Rocky Mountian and keep trying until you get what you like. Then buy the better sprockets.
I don't know who has the XCR's try www.rockymountianatv.com or check in Dirtwheels and call around.

ChadEXer
01-30-2002, 03:27 PM
Thanks

MichaelS693
01-30-2002, 03:51 PM
if ur gonna be doin a lot of drag racin dont but on those tires all you will do is just spin most prob.. i would recommend pro wedge II's they are the best for drag racing