PDA

View Full Version : putting it back togeather

luvmyex
09-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Im compleately rebuilding my ex.Have a stock motor going back in it,with a 39fcr.Other than that pretty much stock.I was running a 416 stock carb,and i think im going to miss the power.Is there any thing i can do without going into the motor to get close to what it was?Like rev box or timming key?do they make any differance really?

stupid driver
09-03-2003, 05:10 PM
if ya dont mind me asking, why did you go bak to stock?

as for power, the basic bolt ons will help, idk about equalling though
for starters,
u have the right carb for the job(39mm), get a sparks x-6,( really helps) aftermarket filter, maybe a advanced timing key. that should please you for the most part. HOpe i helped

stupid driver
09-03-2003, 05:12 PM
oops, just read ur sig. Guess u an me are kinda in the same boat huh. suks when ur motor blows

luvmyex
09-04-2003, 08:12 AM
yes it does.Im thinking about a key and cdi box but are they worth it?I know the key is only $15 or so.but can ya tell a differance?, is what im asking

stupid driver
09-04-2003, 12:22 PM
u will with the key, but idk about the limiter. The 400's power drops off rather quickly when it hits the redline area. Idk tho, i dont have a rev limiter on mine, so idk how they would help you

cals400ex
09-04-2003, 05:54 PM
on a stock bike, i don't think the cdi box does much. if you get one, i would get one made for the 400ex and not the xr400. the ones for the 400ex do not make it harder to start. i have a sparks box and my bike seemed to start better with that in than it did with the stock box in. it raises the rev limiter about 1000 rpm's. i gained a very tiny bit of top speed with the box. it seems to be good quality though.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-05-2003, 03:59 AM
If you get the key it will give you a more crisp throttle responce.. I would say that it would be worth the $15 especially on a stock bike.

09-05-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
If you get the key it will give you a more crisp throttle responce.. I would say that it would be worth the $15 especially on a stock bike.

yuuuup and don't waste the cash on the rev limiter:scary:

YLW400
09-05-2003, 12:27 PM
If you look at a dyno chart for a 400, after it's stock peak RPM, the power curve drops off anyway. I think they are a waste imho.

stupid driver
09-07-2003, 02:50 PM
i can help you with the oil. It will hold more oil if your motor was completely dry of oil. I think the actual number is like 2.2 qts or sumthin. Its in my manual. Im guessing, since your motor blew, that you drained the oil completely, which would explain why it holds more oil now.

luvmyex
09-08-2003, 09:34 AM
thanks guys.I may get the key if im not happy with stock. I got it started last night.Cant ride it(no swingarm:mad: )but it did start.I have a couple ?'s now.
1- a 400ex holds 1.9 qts of oil right?Well I put two qts in there ran it for 5 mins or so then checked it.Well im still 1/4 -1/2 qt low on the dipstick.Why? Im gonna fill it on up anyway.

2- when i started it up,each time id blimp the throttle a puff of black smoke would come out.Could this be form beeing shipped?There was pleanty of oil still in it when shipped and i think it was turned on its side or top during shipping.Had oil all over the foam it was packed in. I only ran it a couple mins to warm up the oil.

luvmyex
09-08-2003, 03:19 PM
I must drain it all out every time cause iv always had to put a little more than two qts in

cals400ex
09-09-2003, 05:25 PM
i think the oil tank only holds 1.9 or 1.95 quarts. when you start it up and let it run for a few minutes it will cycle through and you are actually suppose to put in a little over two quarts. when you first start a new engine, it is common that black smoke is very very lightly coming out when hitting the throttle. i don't know if this was oil left on top of the piston or what. it will go away after a little amount of time of riding.

09-09-2003, 06:39 PM
black smoke means ur jettin is too rich check and see what throttle position that the black smoke is coming out on, and tell us and we can help u from there.

luvmyex
09-09-2003, 09:15 PM
well its not new.But is supposed to have under 30hrs.I only started it to warm the oil and check it after changing it..It was shipped with oil in it and was on the foam packing pretty heavy.I only bliped the throttle when the black puffs of smoke came out>im going to get more oil tommrow and let it run awhile and see if it stops.But Colby had said run a 165 main and 52 with my built engine and this one is stock.And i just bolted the fcr up like it was at 165-52 .I am running a k&n plus the air box lid is sitting on the front two pins to let more air in.Went back to a regular lid and snorkle.Oh and a W/B e series

cals400ex
09-10-2003, 08:12 AM
i am running a 406, stage 2 cam, rev box, modded airbox lid with uni filter, and complete x-6 exhaust. i am using a 160 main and 45 pilot in the stock carb. fuel skrew is about 3 turns out. however, i don't have the bike fully tuned yet.