PDA

View Full Version : TT setup and tips........

mx73vet
09-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Can someone tell me "the TT setup". What size tires/rims do you use? What's the best way to lower the quad? Any tips you can give me would help.

I'm doing my first TT this Saturday. I might just run the knobby class to see how I like it before I dump a bunch of money into setting my quad up for TT.

86atc250r
09-03-2003, 07:21 AM
I don't have a ton of TT experience, but since no one is responding, I'll help with what I can....

Tires - the most common are 18" tall - American Racers are very popular and are a good tire. Most use the 18x10x10 variety on the back and the 18x6x10 tires on the front - 4 compounds are available, all soft :).

Other popular tires are Hoosiers - the ones most use are measured in circumference. I believe 59" is a common size (whatever they are, they're close to the same size as the 18" american racers). I don't see many of their Tri-Trac tires out there, I'm assuming because of their weight.

Ride height - don't lower it too much, you'll need suspension travel to land the jumps (if the track you'll be racing at has jumps).

You will want your quad to be wider than stock. A sway bar is also a good investment - just don't go wild and set it up too stiff, that will reduce your front end traction.

Lowering is best done with special shock setup. Shock builders can limit the travel internally, then set the spring rates appropriately. Many times the various "lowering kits" make your shock action softer which is not typically good.

You can also lower with a "ZPS" setup. Also not always the best method because it allows for a lot of weight transfer and although you still have all your suspension travel, you lose a lot of your spring rate, which makes the shocks easy to bottom unless you run very heavy springs.

Resist the temptation to use ratchet straps to lower your quad - some tracks won't let quads run that are ratcheted down. Ratchet straps make the spring rate too firm and will unhook the quad.

Horsepower - as much as you can come up with before the race, will help. It's frustrating to loose what you gain in the corners to someone with more power in the straights.

Hope this helps & good luck out there.

QuadJunkies
09-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by mx73vet
Can someone tell me "the TT setup". What size tires/rims do you use? What's the best way to lower the quad? Any tips you can give me would help.

I'm doing my first TT this Saturday. I might just run the knobby class to see how I like it before I dump a bunch of money into setting my quad up for TT. yes that was what I was going to suggest. go out and try i first and see if this is REALLY what you want to do before spending all that money. TT is VERY spendy Tires alone are alot of $$$:eek2: I agree with alot of what 86atc250r is saying but most of all, do what you an afford but all means. get a sway bar !! This will help you alot and being lower and tires will give you a good start. You might also wee what others are runnin on the track you are racing on,Its really hard to tell someone what tire to but becuase the dirt can be anytyhing from loose/slick mix to full blue groove.Have fun and be safe....;) Tina ..

mx73vet
09-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the responses!
I actually went to the race tonight but wasn't able to get my quad together in time. I'm still waiting on some TCS LT's and Viper LT a-arms.
I'm glad I went to check it out. Being that my quad is set up for MX (I just spent a ton of cash to do so) I'm not sure I want to spend more money to set it up for TT.
I met a guy at the track that offered a set of tires and a swaybar to try out. I think I'll take him up on the offer and do the next race in 2 weeks.
Even after watching the races tonight I'm not real excited about TT. I guess I just really like a track that seperates the riders(MX), where TT it seems like it's all about setup and power. No offense to you TTers out there, you definetly need to know you sh*t if you want to run out front in a TT race!
Maybe I'll change my mind after I give it a try. I'll let you guys know in 2 weeks.

zzbudzz
09-08-2003, 02:12 AM
hey , jarriet get in touch with me ! pm me or e mail me !