PDA

View Full Version : Need Some new tires

TRX250X
09-03-2003, 05:47 AM
My 250x still has the original OHTSU's on them, and it's time to get them replaced. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. I ride hard pack trails, and the roads around my house mostly. The reason I ride roads a lot is because I usually use my quad to check out our crops. I also make 2 or 3 trips a year to the Badlands in Attica. So it does see some of that sandy/kitty litter stuff. I kinda like the kenda klaw's or Knarly's, but I didn't know how well they would hold up on roads that are chip and sealed. And I'm working on a tight budget. (Hence the stock 250x with original tires.) That's what I get for owning a Mustang and going to college though. Thanks for any knowledgeable answers.

09-03-2003, 12:49 PM
klaws. 20'

09-03-2003, 12:50 PM
20" i meaent or the knarlys might b ok

BROKENBONZ250EX
09-03-2003, 01:30 PM
i dont know man, if u ride in the woods alot, i would consider more like a 22" tire, becaus i dont know about u, but i have 18 inchers on my wheeler, and i belly hang so badly its pathetic.. the claws to my knowladge are a soft rubber tire which will get bald rather quickly on pavement...(not sure though) So if u do get a 20 inch tire i would get turf tamers or something, my friend has them on his 250ex, and they work great, they dont really wear that quickly. (plus they r'nt too expensive)

cdalejef
09-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Its gonna be hard to find a quad tire that will hold up on the road.

Taco
09-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Mudsharks wear very well when abused on pavement:D

skemp
09-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Its gonna be hard to find a quad tire that will hold up on the road.

Three words; Pure Sports Bandits :)

They are one of, if not the most durable tire out there, no chit. They are a bit more expensive, but they will last as long as several sets of cheaper tires. I am sure others will agree, but they definitely get my vote.

09-03-2003, 03:02 PM
uhh bandits kicks every other tire's nuts in the wear dept. but the preformance isn't that good. I like to burn out on my bandits just so i can see some new rubber.

cdalejef
09-03-2003, 03:17 PM
LOL.....I tried those several years ago. I didn't get to use them long because of a sidewall cut. They rode a little rough but they weren't too bad.

TRX250X
09-04-2003, 04:07 AM
The Bandits were one of the next things on my list. I have always liked the look of those tires, and usually everyone has high praise for them. I just wondered how well they'd do at the Badlands. I'm looking for a 22 inch tire, but I did put my buddies 20 inch turf tamers on one time at badlands and loved them compared to what I had. I know I wouldn't like 20 inchers as well in the trails though for what I do.

sparks400
09-04-2003, 06:58 AM
regular riding 20" klaws, XC 22" klaws or razor 2, mx 18" shots or klaws, klaws are gr8 all around tire, u can change the tread pattern which is a gr8 feature.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-04-2003, 08:53 AM
The klaws are a great tire and hook up really well but they wont last as long as the knarly if you are run on the road. The knarly doesn't hook up as well but it has a harder compound that will last longer:)

mudderchic
09-04-2003, 11:46 AM
I was looking at getting the Bandits but I try to avoid riding on roads. You probably aren't gonna find too many tires that hold up very well on roads and are good on trails. I would recommend using the old tires when you ride the roads :)

TRX250X
09-04-2003, 02:54 PM
I can't be switching tires all the time. The farthest I ever ride the roads is just a few miles, so it's not like I ride them all the time. I just wanted to mention that my quad sees probably more road use than others. I think the knarly's look like a good tire, and I've never seen anybody who has them before.

Thanks for the help.

jesshamner
09-04-2003, 07:27 PM
I have a friend that bought the bandits. They wear really good. He did burn outs all the time and they still look like they are new. The only problem with them is when the trail gets wet, they lose all their grip. We were riding at Haspin or Mt. Parkway once and it rained on us. He was getting stuck on hills that he shouldnt' have. He is a lot better hill climber than I am and I was making it up these easy with my shots. The tires are good, just a little slippery on wet, hard pack. Most tires are like that but these seemed a little worse than most. The good thing about them is that they are tall for their size and they do really well in mud. They seem to be pretty cheap also.

400ex#18
09-06-2003, 08:36 PM
All i can say is that you said trails, and i used to ride them a lot, but it would be 5 miles a day to them and then back on the road, and the tires i used, still are good, and i have been rinning them for about a little over a year...They are the ITP blackwater, they are trail tires, and they are good on pavement..when running from pigs, you can hook up well too! :devil: But that is my recomendation. I have also used them in very sandy area's and they hooked up good there too! so no complaints from me at all on them!