PDA

View Full Version : Temperature

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Just something I tried and it worked :D

I have the JE 10.8:1, with the thinner cometic gasket kit, The sparks degree key, and a bigger oil tank, dpr8z plug, and a heat seaker temperature gauge. I went riding and looked at the gauge and it was in the 300 mark :eek:

To fix this heat problem I added some air scoops and a dpr9z plug and now I am in the 250 range :D where I am supposed to be..

I can't believe how much of a difference those 2 items made, I highly recommend this if you are running the same set up.

Just wanted to share my experience, thanks for reading ;)

UglyMotha™
09-03-2003, 04:45 AM
so was it the scoop or the plug that was most effective i already have sccops but i haven't tried running a different plug i really need to get one of those heatseeker thingys but using my trusty hand thermometer my bike runs quite a bit cooler than my brother bone stock 400 but if i run it on pump gas she runs extremely hot to the touch :confused2

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-03-2003, 05:05 AM
Yep that was the only problem I should have made the changes seperatly, maybe the next time I go riding I will put the 8 plug back in and see what kind of difference that makes.

it was kind of scary to look down and see my bike in the 300 range. Also when it was that hot I was running pretty much straight race gas. and this time I was running 94 octane.

wilkin250r
09-03-2003, 05:10 AM
Does the spark plug really affect the cooling of your engine? How?

nakomis0
09-03-2003, 05:11 AM
250 is the same temp I consitantly run even after extended riding.

I have an auxilary cooler, and the Dpr9z plug.

Someday I'll get my scoops back on and see if it drops more.

09-03-2003, 06:18 AM
I knew those guages would be good for something :)

Do let us know what you find with the #9 plug.

Maybe think of trying one of the aux oil coolers and what change that makes etc. and it would be interesting since many of the claimed temp drops are at the head not in the tank etc.

How about temp changes from jetting?

I know at the last ride (TCTRI) in the morning mine was running super hot and just too lean, so before the afternoon I pulled out the 170mj that I used for the 98F days and popped in a 180mj and it ran much cooler (all by the hand method lol) not too mention much better.

nakomis0
09-03-2003, 06:27 AM
I ran my temp guage long before I ever installed an aux cooler. And my temps where 275 normal, with peaks of 300. With the cooler I can barely get it to budge off the 250 mark.

So there is definatley a drop in the tank oil temp. I have never tested the head temp. before, but I did this weekend and it was at 350.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-03-2003, 07:13 AM
I have spoken with both JE and Ross alot on this subject lately. They both say to run the colder plug with higher compression it keeps the internal head temp down.

09-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Good info C&D

cals400ex
09-03-2003, 10:32 AM
the only down side to running the colder plug is starting the bike. i run that plug and i can still get it started, but it seems after you run that plug for a few months, the bike almost gets more use to it and starts a little better. maybe i am crazy, but that is how it seems.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-03-2003, 10:55 AM
I haven't had any problems with it starting, a few pumps of the throttle and hit the button starts right up.

F-16Guy
09-03-2003, 11:00 AM
I already have scoops and a top end cooler, and now a DPR9Z on the way. Thanks for the research, C&D!:cool:

Max400
09-03-2003, 11:20 AM
I have one of those heat seekers and I was watching me temp the other day and it was at 300...so I check the heat seeker with a Fluke thermometer and calibrated it, the next day I was riding around out in the peach orchards and on the river, it was runinngat 275-280 then by the time I was done riding it was almost 300. It was 98 degrees out and I was putting around never out of 3rd gear. How much of this High temp is caused by the temp. outside and the speed that you are riding? If I would have been riding fast trails like I usually do would the faster riding bring the temp. down?:confused: :confused:

Oh yeah, my bike is stock except for FST Tech oil cooler and white bros. pipe............. I really wish that I would have had the heat seeker before I put the oil cooler on. I really thought that the cooler would bring the temp down further. Does anyone know what a stock 400 runs at?:confused:

cals400ex
09-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Max400
I have one of those heat seekers and I was watching me temp the other day and it was at 300...so I check the heat seeker with a Fluke thermometer and calibrated it, the next day I was riding around out in the peach orchards and on the river, it was runinngat 275-280 then by the time I was done riding it was almost 300. It was 98 degrees out and I was putting around never out of 3rd gear. How much of this High temp is caused by the temp. outside and the speed that you are riding? If I would have been riding fast trails like I usually do would the faster riding bring the temp. down?:confused: :confused:

Oh yeah, my bike is stock except for FST Tech oil cooler and white bros. pipe............. I really wish that I would have had the heat seeker before I put the oil cooler on. I really thought that the cooler would bring the temp down further. Does anyone know what a stock 400 runs at?:confused:

you might be able to richen your pilot jet to make it run cooler at low throttle positions.