PDA

View Full Version : leaky card

powersmoke03
09-03-2003, 01:50 AM
have a 2002 400. Went to go start up the other day and the problem is that when my gas is turned on-at the tank-fuel pours from my drain line on the bottom of the carb. Took the bowl off and cleaned it and made sure the bleeder screw was tight and it still does it. Is one of my floats stuck? Bike has run perfect till this, no problems at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Sean

wilkin250r
09-03-2003, 03:38 AM
Your floats are attached to a little valve. When your floats rise, it closes the little valve so no more fuel comes into your carb.

Your problem could be one of two things. Either your floats are stuck, or you have dirt trapped in that little valve preventing it from closing all the way.

Clean your carb real well. Get a carb cleaner spray and squirt through every fuel passage in your carb to clean out all the dirt. If you see a lot of dirt in your carb, I'd suggest a fuel filter.

powersmoke03
09-03-2003, 04:36 AM
I pulled it aprat and the float wasnt stuck, now Im off to Wally world to get some carb cleaner. thnaks for the help

Sean

powersmoke03
09-04-2003, 06:08 AM
when you drive teh pin out that holds the float how do you get the retainer sleeve out of the carb. I cleaned it last night and put it back together on the work bench and it was fine-held fuel in it all night. went and put it back together this morning and it was still fine. Went ridin for about three minutes then it started leaking again. All the seals and gaskets are good. What kind of carb would yall recommend for an upgrade. I dont plan on doin any motor work but I was goin to upgrade some things and now sounds like a good time.

Sean

sparks400
09-04-2003, 06:56 AM
what u should do is go to ur local auto parts store and pick up some carb. and parts cleaner, and take apart ur carb again, and take all the rubber and plastic stuff out and set all the meal in there and wait for like 20min ur something, then if it still does it just ride ur bike along some woops and jump and stuff. then u should be ok.

wilkin250r
09-04-2003, 09:06 AM
You might have dirt in your fuel tank. It sounds like you cleaned your carb decent and fixed the problem, but you somehow got more dirt in there again.

I had a similar problem on a 1987 250X, the carb was leaking all the time. I rebuilt the carb three times, and each time it would start leaking again after I ride. I finally pulled the petcock off my fuel tank, and found a TON of dirt. I bet I had nearly a full teaspoon of dirt in my petcock and carb, and a whole bunch in my fuel tank.

I took the petcock apart and cleaned it, rinsed out the fuel tank, and added a small inline fuel filter, and have never had a problem since then.

ewalker302
09-11-2003, 01:04 AM
You can check real easy to see if you are getting trash in the carb

Just take off the nut/bolt whatever on the bottom of the carb just below the main & usually sand, dirt, gum or whatever will collect there. ridr it a little then check the inside of that cover.

If its not contaminated, you probably should look somewhere else.

Also it's pretty easy & is probably a good idea to remove the tank & check the mesh filter in there. if you get a few bad tanks of gas (water) that screen could corrode if contaminated cas is left in there very long. This will also give you a chance to check the tightness of the bolts you cant normally get to. Go ahead & clean the inside of the tank & blow out your fuel lines while you have it apart. Cant hurt & you never know what may have gotten into the fuel system.

One more quick tip. The bleeder srew is tapered and made of brass if i am not mistaken. Look at the bleeder screw for any deep scrapes or gouges in the bleeder screw, & look up into the threads to make sure none of the threads are gone or crossed. You or someone else may have tightened the screw too tight, & messed up the seal there. Does anyone know if there is a O ring on that screw, that could be the prob.

Quick fix------put a very thin tight wrap of white teflon plumbers tape (cheap) wrap that on your threads & screw it in, this should stop the leaking.
(I have been doing this on my ATC86250sx's oil drain plug for 2 years now after I stripped it completley out. It still leaks a little but not 2 bad for there only being one thread still in the case)

Good luck.
:bandit: