PDA

View Full Version : Best traction in the snow???

JAMO
09-02-2003, 11:26 AM
First of all I would like to say hi to everyone! Obviously I am new here but that doesn't mean I havn't been lurking the boards and learning a ton.

To the point: I am a happy owner of a new 03' 400EX (red). For the last 15 years I have been consistantly buying dirtbikes the latest being a 01' Yamaha 426F (LOVED IT!!!) but now due to my friends change in taste and my change in tolerance of bodily abuse I've decided to get a quad. So I went with the EX. I have been riding in the dirt now for a couple of weeks but am heavily anticipating the snow which should fall here in a couple of months. My question is what should I use for the best traction in the snow? I plan on doing some trail riding this winter but mostly I just want to pull a sled or a tube behind it.

i used to have a 86' or 85' Yamaha 225DX three-wheeler that pulled sleds really well on the stock set of balloon style regular tread tires, but I was thinking that a set of sand paddles might work really well on the 400.

What do you guys think? Anyone with experience with this type of riding?

Thanks in advance
Jamo

ride300exrider
09-02-2003, 11:37 AM
i would also like to know the same question as u i like to ride in the poconos and it snows in the winter i never had good traction with my tires a ran holeshots and stock.

MOFO
09-02-2003, 12:30 PM
I have heard that paddle tires do not work well in snow... no experience with them though...

I do know of two tires that work very well in the snow. I run a set of dirt devils myself and they work pretty damn good in the snow. A couple of my buddy's run Relators and they work pretty good too. The only down side of relators is that they slide too much (not enough side grip).

If you are riding in deep snow all winter mixed with ice, a pair of snow chains work great in conjuction with these tires. I ran them one year and made it up ice/snow hills that 4x4's where getting suck on. The only downside is that when you get on hard pack (dirt or pavement) for a period of time, they can put extra stress on your bearings in the rear. Just keep that in mind....

My recommendation is Dirt Devils.... :macho

250rpilot
09-02-2003, 12:36 PM
i have seen gbc mudsharks also do very well in snow, though i have never personally tried them. the guy that had them swore by them for the snow.

MOFO
09-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 250rpilot
i have seen gbc mudsharks also do very well in snow, though i have never personally tried them. the guy that had them swore by them for the snow.

Yep, I'm pretty sure any deep lug (tractor style) mud tire will do fine in the snow.

I forgot to mention that if you do use snow chains, they throw some MEAN roost when your climbin up an ice hill.... make sure no one is behind ya... I also had a buddy that put small screws in his Raptor tires, they worked pretty good for the icy/hardpack snow, but when they come out of the tire, watch out. :eek:

1969ford
09-02-2003, 12:58 PM
i have been riding my 97 300ex daily for 4 years now, year round, summer fall, winter, spring, i found the best tire is the Kenda Bearklaw, plenty of traction in snow, mud and ice-pack trails.

if you only want them for winter use toss some studs on them and theyll get you anywhere you want to go.

heavy_d
09-02-2003, 01:47 PM
i strongly recommend 22" Gators i have had them on my quadsports and my brother has them on his 250x, those can go through some deep snow and mud, once you have Gators you don't need a 4x4, there's not really a noticeable loss in torque if you go with the 22"

rider250ex
09-02-2003, 01:59 PM
this is a crazy idea but y not try the maxxis 4snow tires. but i guess its a long shot i mean they might not do good in the snow

ny300exrider
09-02-2003, 02:44 PM
ill be getting a set of maxxis 4-sno on 160's because i cant wait for some snow again so when the first snow hits, thell be ordered. i want to rip around the roads in the snow all day lol

09-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by rider250ex
this is a crazy idea but y not try the maxxis 4snow tires. but i guess its a long shot i mean they might not do good in the snow

i think these will do good too no need to be a smart arse though.

JOEX
09-02-2003, 03:39 PM
I have heard tires like these work in the snow. No conformation though...http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=630979

Bender
09-02-2003, 07:52 PM
We get alot of snow here in NH. I find that Dirt Devils and Spider Tracs do very well in the snow.

Live2Ride300
09-02-2003, 11:53 PM
What about those new Maxxis tires called 4-Snow? I wonder how those do, anybody ever try them?

300exOH
09-03-2003, 02:05 AM
My Mud Machines work awesome in the snow. Last winter I had several people asking me if my quad was a 4x4. We had lots of snow here and I didn't get stuck unless I tried to go through a huge drift or a deep ditch. These tires clean out real well and they aren't very expensive.

JAMO
09-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Thank you guys for your help. I have some time to decide what to use before winter but whatever I do get I will be sure to post a review.

Originally posted by rider250ex
this is a crazy idea but y not try the maxxis 4snow tires. but i guess its a long shot i mean they might not do good in the snow ...And thank you for a very informative and well thought out post:rolleyes:

Jamo

Tommy 17
09-03-2003, 08:05 AM
snow ahhh leave:p haha j.k

i've found the best snow tires to be the stock ohtsu radials on the 400ex... i've tried holeshots, turf tamers, realtors, and razrs and outta those the stock tires went the best... a lil on the expensive side and hard to find but i've never had anything better... they have very weak sidewalls but in the winter with the snow thats not a problem...

realtors would be my 2nd choice... i know u can turn them one way for snow and flip them around again for mud...

brian400ex
09-03-2003, 09:48 AM
ITP Black waters. Bad ***** tires

400ex#18
09-06-2003, 08:45 PM
the maxxis 4snow are very good, i have a friend with them and all last winter he roosted good, and hooked up good, but if you are using them for just the winter, i would go with some like 20 or 22 bandits, and about 2 or 3 studs, or screws per nob..that is what i used, and they worked fantastic! They are big enough that the snow drift won't get you all ****ed up, but small enought, not to be ****ing heave as hell!

bleupoud
09-08-2003, 11:32 AM
HI sir
proedge or 4-snow are the real winter tire. We are a bunch of winter (canadian) rider with these brand. one or the other are almost same thing but 4-snow are cheaper. we have like 5 month and a lot of snow . they are the only one that really have traction in snow and even on ice but the are to soft for summer use. They work assome in sand to.

count on me it's the choice you will not be disapointed.

jfboy
12-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey where can I can some proedge in the US ???? I'm from Quebec and they are arew easy to get over ther but cant find them in the us ?????

These tire hook up unbbeleiveblt well, you need to try before you beleive wheelies on packed trails are as easy as on dirt, the only downside is that they will wear down very fast on pavement so snow only.

400ex#18
12-04-2004, 10:45 PM
You could check with Ronnies Mail Order... 1-800-253-7667
www.ronnies.com

wheeltrax
12-04-2004, 11:30 PM
I just bought a set of the new AMS Zipper. They are alot like the 4snow and prowedge only they have built in "studs" on the outer part of the tire. They will be my ice racing tires for this season. You can get them from Rocky Mountain, or anyone who is a parts unlimited distributor, making it really easy to order. Just my 2 cents.

redrider311
12-05-2004, 08:46 PM
im living proof..i have sand devils that absolutly GO in the dunes.. but once thye get in snow its just slippin and sliddin...

im thinkin about putting the gators from by recon on my 400 for a day to see what theyre like in the snow

anyone done this before?

Crazy Diamond
12-07-2004, 09:44 PM
4-Snows and Pro-Wedges work awesome. Ton's of traction. Bear Claw's, Mud Sharks and Super Swamper ATV Tires work well too! I have even tried Paddle Masters. They work pretty good in wet snow but in powder they suck!!! I have also seen snowmobile studs in a set of stockers that ripped.

Ex_Rider43
12-08-2004, 08:53 AM
you NEED pro wedges or 4-snow... no dirt tires like stock othsu or razr... only these 2.

hey guys im from quebec too you might wanna check out www.predatex.com its a forum for quebec sport quad guys!

StuntMentD4
12-08-2004, 11:07 AM
i dont no wat u guys r smoken:p but the only way i have fun n the snow is sliden all around n chit..hell get some hoosier slicks:blah:

im jp but mud tires work well if u want traction:ermm: cuz my dad had them n fliped the first he tryled to do a donut..i use stock but this winter ill be runnen klaws:devil: