PDA

View Full Version : air cooled--blow up??????i dont think so

mod300ex
09-02-2003, 11:11 AM
i know this isent a honda but mine is blown up but todau i was playin around in the mud wiht my buddies blaster and my brother came down yellin cuz he said i would blow it up....?/i dont think it will blow up he said its cuz its ""air cooled" yea ok 400.300 and just about every honda is air cooled and were all not flyin around to keep it cold IM sure some of us went muddin befor lol i just want to give this to him to show him hes wrong lol

Pappy
09-02-2003, 11:12 AM
its possible to burn one down if the mud makes the engine overheat.

wilkin250r
09-02-2003, 11:27 AM
It is entirely possible to overheat an engine riding through the mud.

If you are riding, then chances are there are periods of time that you are going full throttle, getting lots of airflow through the cooling fins of the motor. You don't need to do it ALL the time, but you do need to get airflow across the motor.

If you are riding in mud and water (Very thin mud) then you have very little chance of overheating. In fact, you will actually keep the motor very cool, because each time water and mud splash onto the motor, it cools the motor off even better than air. You DO need to watch out for thermal shock. If your motor is running very hot, and you suddenly submerge it into a icy stream, the rapid thermal change could damage your motor.

If you are riding in very THICK mud, you need to be very careful. All those little fins on the motor and head are very important to cooling your engine, and you need to get airflow in between them. If they get clogged with mud, you lose that airflow. That's when you can have problems overheating.

The problem is compounded by the lack of traction in the mud. Your motor spins your tires at 25mph, but because you lose traction in the mud, you only get 15mph of airflow across your motor. Your engine is working harder, and getting less cooling airflow.

So, your response to your brother is, you're not going to overheat your engine unless you cake the entire thing with a thick layer of mud.

jokerman_28
09-02-2003, 01:29 PM
a blaster is a 2-stroke so it does not have good reliability. when you get mud on the cooling fins it works more like and insulator for the engine...in a bad way. it locks all the heat in so the engine temperature sky rockets. and with mud on an air cooled 2-stroke, with that high of rpms it is very possible to overheat the engine. i melted down 2 sets of rings on my blaster in 11 months. this is why it is so important to keep your motor clean!

300XFST4602
09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
I dunno man , but i know that 2 strokes run cooler than 4 strokes. My 2 cents

Out_Sider
09-02-2003, 02:26 PM
2 strokes run cooler than 4 strokes.......i neva knew that

300exazzkikr
09-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by jokerman_28
a blaster is a 2-stroke so it does not have good reliability. when you get mud on the cooling fins it works more like and insulator for the engine...in a bad way. it locks all the heat in so the engine temperature sky rockets. and with mud on an air cooled 2-stroke, with that high of rpms it is very possible to overheat the engine. i melted down 2 sets of rings on my blaster in 11 months. this is why it is so important to keep your motor clean!

this is true and 300XFST4602 about your cooling theory on two and four strokes, i don't think so. A fourstroke has more lubrication than a 2 stroke does. If you think about it. If you pre-mix your two stroke 32:1, which is a safe mixture in my opinion. It's 32 parts gas and 1 part oil. So, there will always be a lot more fuel than oil. In a four stroke there is one ring that pulls up oil on every stroke to lubricate everything. I'm just blabbering, it's my two cents.

chrisp333
09-02-2003, 02:53 PM
think about it, 10 guys with 4 strokes and 10 guys with 2 strokes...
how many four strokes need to change a piston in a year against 2 strokes...

09-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by chrisp333
think about it, 10 guys with 4 strokes and 10 guys with 2 strokes...
how many four strokes need to change a piston in a year against 2 strokes...

that has nothing to do with mud its all bout the engine.