PDA

View Full Version : Elka rear rebuild

INFANTRY RACING
09-02-2003, 06:17 AM
I was thinking of getting my rear shock converted to elka ssd by Mx-tech. I really don't know how good the shock will be. Anyone have problems with the rebuild. For about 280 dollars it seems like a good deal.

DEAL
09-02-2003, 09:52 AM
From what I hear they don't hold up that well. Your probably better off with a TCS or Pep rear rebuild.

Pappy
09-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by DEAL
From what I hear they don't hold up that well. Your probably better off with a TCS or Pep rear rebuild.

ive seen way more people say that the rebuilds are equal to an aftermarket shock....at half the price. i dont know that ive read anywhere that they dont hold up.:ermm:

Dave400ex
09-02-2003, 10:26 AM
I've had the Elka rebuild for over a year now with no problems. It's much better then stock, although I'm sure it could be dialed in much better. If I was doing it again, I would be talking to Santo Derisi about a rebuild.

QuadTrix6
09-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
ive seen way more people say that the rebuilds are equal to an aftermarket shock....at half the price. i dont know that ive read anywhere that they dont hold up.:ermm:

they will be as good as a full aftermarket shock when done right, not just springs and oil. A good rebuild includes.

taking apart the shafts, valving, pistons, reservoirs, hoses, and bladders.

then checking over the shims for splits. The piston faces are looked over for pitting

all knobs and the shafts are checked for pitting.

Metering rods are checked for wear

all damaged parts are replaced, adjusters are inspected, cleaned and greased.

and also they should replace seals and bushings.

also a hard anodizing or the shock oil will be contaminated and will cause the shock to fade prematurely
"www.atving.com"

INFANTRY RACING
09-02-2003, 06:24 PM
well mx-tech's only like 1/2 an hour drive from me so i'll whoop *** if it sucks or breaks

DEAL
09-03-2003, 05:30 AM

Nausty had a few problems with his origionally and I've heard from alot of people at the track that the elka rebuild isn't that durable but I could be wrong.

killerworm
09-03-2003, 06:33 AM
I had an original '86 250r rear shock built by Santo last year and was extremely happy about the entire deal. His work is great, the shock performs excellent and his business is unbeatable!! Check him out!

user101
09-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I've had the Elka rebuild for over a year now with no problems. It's much better then stock, although I'm sure it could be dialed in much better. If I was doing it again, I would be talking to Santo Derisi about a rebuild.

ive had mine for almost a year now and have had 0 problems. i love it. it is a hug improvement over stock.

400grl
09-04-2003, 10:01 AM
My Elka rebuild has also been awesome!!! NO PROBLEMS whatsoever....nor have I heard of anyone having any.......so....it's worth the cash. You will like it...... ;)

Nausty
09-04-2003, 11:20 AM

yup, had them valved for my weight, and everything.

Blew it twice, and the performance sucked compared to my new one. It was to stiff on the top of the travel and to soft on the bottem.

On top of that we ended up getting the same shock we were gonna get in the first place....

I spose if you arn't that good of a rider and/or you don't ride mx then you might be ok but I was really disappointed mine and at least if you buy new you can sell the stock for 50-100 bucks and get some of that money back or you can keep it for a spare when you send it in to get revalved.:ermm:

INFANTRY RACING
09-07-2003, 07:06 PM
well the guy at mx tech should hook me up. I don't wanna spend alot if i replace my elkas with pep's this winter