PDA

View Full Version : used a tether....now it wont start.....

QuadJunkies
09-02-2003, 01:43 AM
My Daughter used her Tether yesterday(she hasnt used it in a very long time) when doing some jumps.Anyhow, she pulled the tether out and put it back in, but now it wont start ?:huh I checked the fuse just to make sure that wasnt it and it s fine.Do you think maybe she made a wire loose somewhere when jumping and once turned back on thatswhy it wont start...Im pretty much clueless on this one....Any ideas??:confused2 We have a trip duning next week so I gotts get her runnin!:macho Thanks! :)

Natertot426ex
09-02-2003, 01:48 AM
just foolw the wires down to where they conect and see if they got pulled out!

QuadJunkies
09-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
just foolw the wires down to where they conect and see if they got pulled out! Nate is this a common thing? I used mine once and it started to mess with it starting, so I wont use it anymore:grr: Troys not the greatest with electical stuff, he did replace the wiring harness once with some help from Peak Power Sports, but thats about it....:ermm:

09-02-2003, 11:00 AM
take off all the wires for the kill switch, clean them up and reconnect them. A lot of dirt and gunk builds up which wont give a good connection. If it still doesnt work it means the kill switch probably took a crap. I have heard of that happening before on some old ones. The switches just get messed up and you need to get a new one.

QuadJunkies
09-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
take off all the wires for the kill switch, clean them up and reconnect them. A lot of dirt and gunk builds up which wont give a good connection. If it still doesnt work it means the kill switch probably took a crap. I have heard of that happening before on some old ones. The switches just get messed up and you need to get a new one. ok thanks. Ill let you know what is found hopefully tomorrow....;)

300exazzkikr
09-03-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
take off all the wires for the kill switch, clean them up and reconnect them. A lot of dirt and gunk builds up which wont give a good connection. If it still doesnt work it means the kill switch probably took a crap. I have heard of that happening before on some old ones. The switches just get messed up and you need to get a new one.

Dirt got into mine, and my R wouldn't start. Took me a while to figure it out, but it worked fine after i cleaned it out.

nakomis0
09-03-2003, 04:24 AM
What type of kill switch are u using? I would question if you have it hooked up right considering this is the second machine you have had problems with.

A bad connection should make it start better? because a kill switch kills the bike by making a connection that grounds out the spark before it gets to the plug. So any loose connection would just make it so the kill switch would not work.

Maybe the internals came apart and it wont unconnect inside? Or did the sudden shut off, foul the spark plug?

QuadJunkies
09-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
What type of kill switch are u using? I would question if you have it hooked up right considering this is the second machine you have had problems with.

A bad connection should make it start better? because a kill switch kills the bike by making a connection that grounds out the spark before it gets to the plug. So any loose connection would just make it so the kill switch would not work.

Maybe the internals came apart and it wont unconnect inside? Or did the sudden shut off, foul the spark plug? this was the stock tetheron it I believe and we got her fixed! it was actually a lose wire hidden she was jumoing a bit and i swear when she does this she gets loose wires from time to time.also found she needs a new spocket and were replaciing the kicker thats took a chitter a few weeks ago.Its has a fairly brand new wiring harness on it so the wires are in good shape it just come loose. I dont use a kill on mine until racing gears up so when I do get ready to race ill be asking you all some questions about a new tether( ive only used mine once)Thanks for the help and this will be something to keep in mind for future reference;)

Braff1
09-03-2003, 07:54 PM
I have come to love my tether killer. While yes it may be a pain sometimes it sure beats watching your quad running down a hill with the throttle wfo or running across a field.