PDA

View Full Version : where is top dead center?

cals400ex
09-01-2003, 05:59 PM
well i just installed my new cam and piston. i couldn't help noticing that the two lines on the cam sprocket that line up with the head are not exacly lined up when the flywheel is on the T mark. the timing isn't off. it is not off by much. with the two lines even with the head, the T mark on the flywheel is just barely past where its suppose to be. so what i am getting at, is the two marks on the sprocket or the T on the flywheel more accurate when finding TDC? thanks

nakomis0
09-01-2003, 06:33 PM
If you have it on the T mark 100% and the index marks are slightly off then u are ok.

I have seen index marks slightly off, and I have seen them dead center. Just make sure ur doing it right and u probably are.

cals400ex
09-02-2003, 10:44 AM
yeah, if i rotated the cam sprocket over one more tooth, it would be off for sure. i did double check it to make sure it was correct. so are you saying that the T on the flywheel is a more accurate way to find TDC than the marks on the cam sprocket?

speedy400
09-02-2003, 02:51 PM
basic rule for that-If you move the chain one link towards to where itd line up, and its farther than you had it in the 1st place, but it back to the way you had it 1'st and its good.-darren

btw-that confused me also