PDA

View Full Version : A-Arms- STD or +1"

JOEX
09-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Here's my situation...

I ride in a variaty of situations, open dunes, dune trails, woods trails, home made track, logging roads etc.....

I have a Lonestar axle set at the narrower setting (+1 1/2" wider than stock)

I also have a set of Burgard +1 a-ams sitting on the floor waiting for shocks to match them. (haven't ordered yet). After a few rides this summer I think I would be better off with standard a-arms due to the trees that seem to jump out in front of me.

I started a thread recently about width vs. length without much technical advice on this situation. With aftermarket shocks (lower $ end) I belive the actual width of the front end increases. Is this true?

pappy, what are the chance of Burgard swaping me a set a-arms if I pay the shipping both ways? I'm also thinking of nickel plating...

Joe

Juggalo
09-01-2003, 04:53 PM
if you don't like em you can always order offset rims and go back to close to stock width

JOEX
09-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks Juggalo:) I don't know if anyone makes rims narrower than stock to compensate for the wider a-arms. There might be but I have a couple of stock rims for spares and would like to keep it that way. The +1 a-arm that I have, have not been used so i'm hoping i'll be able to exchange them for standards. If that is the better option.

Joe

Pappy
09-02-2003, 12:56 AM
jugg's is right....run the +1 with the narrow front rim. thats the hot ticket for most of the gncc quads and it dont get much tighter then what they have to race thru.

JOEX
09-02-2003, 04:45 AM
Thanks,
What would be the ideal rim size/offset with the +1 a-arms?

Joe

remlapr
09-02-2003, 05:21 AM
4:1, but I'm pretty sure only hiper and douglas make them in that offset.

INFANTRY RACING
09-02-2003, 07:43 AM
you could always look for some c-dale rims. they use a 4:1 offset

YamaWarr0121
09-02-2003, 10:04 AM
hmm..no they dont..they run a 2+3 almost positive its pretty wide offset

Dave400ex
09-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Well if you keep the +1's you can get the 4:1 Beadlocks, but if you could trade that would save you some money.

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Cannondales come with a 3+2 offset. Pappy and Jugg are correct, keep your arms and run 4+1 offset wheels. Very good setup for doing everything!

JOEX
09-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Stock rims are 5.5" wide and if i'm measuring correctly the offset is 4:1.5. If I go with aftermarket rims that are 5" wide and a 4:1 offset and the +1 a-arms the overall width will be 1" wider than stock. Am I correct or am I using the wrong math?:p

Will I need to factor in the rim offset when ordering shocks? I know that is heated debate lately so maybe we should leave that out:eek:

I am also wondering if the wider axle will throw off the handling. It seems fine with the stock front end set up.

Do most rims manufacturers make 4:1 rims? What are Hipers running these days?

Thanks, Joe

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Actually the stock offset is 3.5+1.5 so yes, you will be about 1 to 2 inches wider with +1 arms and 4+1 wheels.
No, you don't need to say which offset rims you have, altho offset wheels do put more leverage on your shocks, it is not enough to make alot of difference.
You should be fine with that axle running in the narrow position.
Only wheels I know of in 4+1 are Hipers and Douglas. Hipers are going for under $200ea.

JOEX
09-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks Jeff and everyone else.:) This is a damn expensive hobby:(
I may be selling a few sets of stock rims to afford the hipers...

Joe

Taco
09-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Thanks Jeff and everyone else.:) This is a damn expensive hobby:(
Joe
No chit:mad:

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 02:23 PM
If you can't afford the Hipers, go with the Douglas rolled edge wheels. They are very strong and go for around $100ea

Dave400ex
09-02-2003, 03:23 PM
I believe you will only be an inch wider then stock. +1 a-arms equals +2 overall. The 4+1 wheels with take a 1/2 inch off both sides, so an inch overall. That should equal to be an inch wider.

JOEX
09-02-2003, 03:29 PM
That's the same math I did:) Now I just need to some creative math on the bank account!:p

Joe

JOEX
09-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Actually the stock offset is 3.5+1.5 so yes, you will be about 1 to 2 inches wider with +1 arms and 4+1 wheels.
No, you don't need to say which offset rims you have, altho offset wheels do put more leverage on your shocks, it is not enough to make alot of difference.
You should be fine with that axle running in the narrow position.
Only wheels I know of in 4+1 are Hipers and Douglas. Hipers are going for under $200ea.
I just realized your measurments equal 5" (3.5+1.5=5) where as stock rims are 5.5" where is that other 1/2 inch go? I know we are splitting hairs here, I just like to know the details:)

Joe

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 03:48 PM
you gotta factor in the width when the suspension articulates. Like when arms are parallel to the ground, stance gets wider.

JOEX
09-02-2003, 04:07 PM
you gotta factor in the width when the suspension articulates. Like when arms are parallel to the ground, stance gets wider.
I was only questioning the rim width not anything with the suspension variables which i'm sure I need to consider when setting up the front end.

I just don't know, like most others here, what needs to be factored in when setting up the suspension. It just seems like when I think I know what I want someone else brings up another aspect of the geometry that needs to be included.

I guess that is what makes this a highly debated topic.

Joe

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 04:15 PM
LOL...sorry, my bad I though you were talking about total width.

JOEX
09-02-2003, 04:32 PM
LOL...sorry, my bad I though you were talking about total width.
Well I'm trying to take total width into consideration including added width due to sag. That is why I was leaning toward std. length arms to compensate for my lack of ability to avoid the trees:p

I know you have a ton of experience and a wealth info in your head.... but getting it across to others through the computer screen can be very difficult.

Thanks for your help Jeff,

Joe

cdalejef
09-02-2003, 04:48 PM
No problem....like everyone else on here......I'm still learning too!
Keep in mind that most all PRO GNCC racers run +1 arms and 4+1 wheels. It is the perfect woods setup unless the woods you ride in are like a jungle :p