PDA

View Full Version : 400 set up for trail riding/racing

01-28-2002, 06:53 PM
Hey guy, I'm looking for some advise on setting up my bike to trrail sport riding. I like to woods ride.

What would you guys recommend for tire size, rims?
suspension, wheel spacers, exc.... thanks:cool:

004exkid
01-28-2002, 07:03 PM
I race harescrambles so I am set up for woods riding too. If you are not racing or jumping aggressively shocks are not a must but do make a difference. I would recomend going with a good set of 6 ply tires. If you get 22's for the rear drop a tooth in the front. Skid plates are also a must, the pro-tec rear skid in indestructible.

Moto92
01-31-2002, 11:17 PM
Ive heard one of the best mods you can do is the 14 tooth sprocket. In the woods your going for accleration and not top end. Ive also heard that you really dont loose any top end but the bottom end gain is awesome. Im going to get one soon.

02-01-2002, 07:19 PM
For trail rides, I don't know of anyone using wheel spacers. As for tire sizes....22" rear and 23" front does me good. I would rather run my stock front and rear tires for their handling, but out in the rough, those 6 ply rears and 4 ply fronts really help, and the added ground clearence helps over obsticles, but not in turns:mad: I to went with the 14 tooth front sprocket, what a great mod that was.:D As for suspension, I agree the stock suspension on the 400ex is not all that bad, but aftermarket ones are a huge improvement.:D A good aftermarket skid plate is a must!!!!!! A belly pan may be a good investment to. As for rims....that is a big topic. I still feel the stockers are great rims. I think shockwears over your shocks are a good investment too.

I hope this helps.

02-01-2002, 07:47 PM
thanks, that's pretty helpful.

i like my stock rim but have to get new ones because one is warped.

mysticfalcon
02-02-2002, 10:31 PM
I am suprised that you guys are saying that shocks arent that important. There my next investment becaust im sick of botoming my stock shocks on the trails. Ive never botomed my stock shocks of a jump but i do about every 10 min on the trails cause even a little root is hard when ur going around a tight corner in 5th wot.