PDA

View Full Version : Street Legal Quads in Pismo!

D-4our
09-01-2003, 04:53 AM
I cant believe this! some buisness just opened up here in Pismo Beach, California that rents out street legal 450's, raptors and a few others. i guess the D.M.V. approved them and the cops cant touch em.' so everywhere, people have been riding them on the highway and up and down the streets and all over the place. I guess they said you make your own quad streeet legal too so now you'll bve able to ride from your house to the beach. I htought they only did this in europe, but California of all places.

hondafox440
09-01-2003, 05:06 AM
Thats awesome. Just hook a trailer up to it with a gas can, and paddles and take a drive out to the dunes..

D-4our
09-01-2003, 05:08 AM
exactly!:cool:

Ryan
09-01-2003, 05:29 AM
Thats really cool! Their probably the first place to rent out "Street Legal" Atv's. I bet theres more to come in the future :uhoh: .

250x#93
09-01-2003, 05:51 AM
That is freakin sweet:eek2:

honda400exrider
09-01-2003, 06:13 AM
Haha thats awesome... and I can already see low-riders making a four-wheeled version of Hells Angels:devil:

exrider123
09-01-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by D-4our
I cant believe this! some buisness just opened up here in Pismo Beach, California that rents out street legal 450's, raptors and a few others. i guess the D.M.V. approved them and the cops cant touch em.' so everywhere, people have been riding them on the highway and up and down the streets and all over the place. I guess they said you make your own quad streeet legal too so now you'll bve able to ride from your house to the beach. I htought they only did this in europe, but California of all places.

thats kick @$$ do they have a website and have you gotten a chance to rent one of these out

D-4our
09-01-2003, 10:32 AM
no they just opened so they dont have a web site yet. but they are a bit pricey, like to rent a 450 for 1 hour its $80.00.:eek2:

K2Snow
09-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Sweeeeet! I'm like 15 minutes South of Pismo. I gotta find some parts to make my quad street legal and go cruising...

stepupmx
09-01-2003, 12:21 PM
80 dollars aint bad for a quad.

At this lake called lake sonoma, jet skis are 100 dollars per hour :eek2:

cudaman
09-01-2003, 01:51 PM
DUDE, I LIVE IN PISMO. as soon as i get my R im makin it street legal. hopefully its not ONLY 4 strokes! what is this place called does anyone know??

quaddict53
09-01-2003, 02:01 PM
i have a street legal quad project under way here in PA...im using part of the frame of a street bike...mainly the engine cradle and the part with the VIN...if i use all the signals and necessary stuff to make it street legal, i can register it as a street bike....or at least i hope so:D

mikealexander88
09-01-2003, 02:07 PM
i wonder what parts it needs to be street legal? that would be sweet, i am 14 now if i could make my R street legal that would be sweet to drive to school on a school permit this winter, or mabee with my lisence in a year and a 1/2.i know it is legal here if there is a measureable amount of snow on the ground.

tants
09-01-2003, 02:15 PM
thats a lawsuit and a half...

what happens when someone gets hit by a car, or injures themself?
the owner probly has all forms and stuff so you cant sue...

thats cool tho

Narly R
09-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Ya no kiddin i bet this wont last long and how many people will be able to drive it like a car? i wouldnt be able to!:D

We still ride here though!:eek: :D

CowsBitePeople
09-01-2003, 03:05 PM
I want a street legal quad!It must be so cool to ride one on the road and not get chased:eek:

4wheelboy
09-01-2003, 04:34 PM
i dont think that will alst long quads are alot harder to ride on the street . and its alot easier to role them:rolleyes:

fuddrucker
09-02-2003, 02:40 AM
Also, remember that most of the tires on quads are not made for use on pavement. They will wear out very fast.

Ryan
09-02-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by fuddrucker
Also, remember that most of the tires on quads are not made for use on pavement. They will wear out very fast.

Thats why they also have flattrack/TT tires.

There is a guy in California that sells street legal kits for $800.

44oEX
09-02-2003, 03:22 AM
If you only use it on the roads you could get a lowering kit and for anybody that didn't know you can put civic tires on your bike in the back anyway. so you could get a set of killer mags and low pro tire.

As far as the injuries go you would have to have insurance just like a car.

For the back tires of a civic you can also put two spare tires and doa really good smoke show.:devil:

4wheelboy
09-02-2003, 06:30 AM
civic wheels? can u reelyy:confused: that means i could be rollin on dubs yo:scary: :cool:

44oEX
09-03-2003, 12:16 AM
yeah you can but just in the back cause the bolt patern on the fronf of the quad is different but take your bolt patern to your local speed shop and they could probably find something that would fit

wilkin250r
09-03-2003, 04:53 AM
It sounds fishy to me. The regulations for 4 wheels vs 2 wheels are entirely different.

At any rate, even if it can be done, it's not going to be cheap. Headlights, tail lights, blinkers, horn, license plate are all requirements. Do you really want blinkers on your quad?

exrider123
09-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by fuddrucker

To make a quad street legal in the first place you gotta put street legal tires on them like ryan said you have to use flattrack/TT tires like Hoosiers

02Yellow400
09-03-2003, 09:03 AM
The only way to make your bike street legal in PA is to use the bike swingarm and rear tire and make it a 3 wheeler. And even then they probobly wont go for it i already looked into everything. Is alot of money. Not to mention trying to find someone to insure something like that.

chucked
09-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Are they like these?

http://streetlegalatv.com/

D-4our
09-03-2003, 01:51 PM
no the quads they rent out have all four wheels on.

bajaracer48
11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
hey i live in pismo whats the name of the store and were did you hear about it at. i've been trying to figure out how to make my quad street legal.

Trevor
11-23-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm gettin me some civic spair tires to burn off.

PismoLocal
11-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I remember when this happened. Since then the place went out of business. The guy who converted them lived in Lompoc CA and started the business in Oceano. I dont think they had any 450's. There was 6 raptors and 2 Z400s. They were street legal but I don't think they were allowed on the freeway. When they went out of business they sold the quads in the photo ad for normal prices. I remember because they were up for sale when i was looking for my quad. Since then the loop hole has been closed and its now impossible to do. It's a shame though. I wish I would have bought one because I'm pretty sure that the 8 he made are still street legal I could be wrong though.

Kaleigh
11-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by D-4our

I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JK

MAN IM SO JELOUS.. thats awesome.. i wish it was like that here.. I would love to ride my quad everywhere.. I hate driving my car in the city..

96lapis coupe
11-23-2006, 04:58 PM
This post is 3 years old and the place closed already. Don't get too excited.;)

Kaleigh
11-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 96lapis coupe
This post is 3 years old and the place closed already. Don't get too excited.;)

hahaha.. lmao. i didnt even realize that.. :D

bajaracer48
11-23-2006, 08:05 PM
ya i remeber them in the photo ad a long time ago guess i should have looked at the date

i need to find away to make my quad street legal. that way i can mess around town more. if anyone has any information please let me know.

thanks later steve