PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best / Easiest Way To fix body rust

JD400exrider
08-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Well Just what it says. I thought you people back east would no more about this than I would beings we don't get allot of this on our cars out here in CA.

My horse trailer has a few areas where it is rusted through on the body metal. Are there any fillers that can be used other than Bondo. Hoping to get some good tips for repairs.

Thanks in advance.

400exmom
09-01-2003, 12:05 AM
ok- i did this and painted cars for 7 years before i jumped into real estate- if there is a hole no matter how big or small your goin to have to grind it till all the rust is gone - will probably end up 5 time the size- but if you dont want it to come back ya gootaa get ALL the rust- get your welder and a piece of metal a little larger than the hole from the rust and weld- make sure your welding it on bare metal- let set up good and cool - take yer hammer bang in the high spots and fill with bondo- good luck!

Stevie-D
09-01-2003, 03:21 AM
i use PPG products at the body shop i work at, and there is a bondo type material we use to fill big gaps\holes, etc. its got fiberglass in it and is extremely strong. you may want to cover up the area you weld over with some of that

K_Fulk
09-01-2003, 03:32 AM
The best way is to cut it off and weld a patch panel in. There is nothing wrong with body filler just as long as your not patching holes with it.

JD400exrider
09-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Thank You Very much. Looks like i will start welding. :D