PDA

View Full Version : Hunters: What shotgun for bear huntin in nj??

mrusk
08-31-2003, 05:16 PM
After years of bear proablems in nj, they finallly passed a bear season. The only proablem is, in jersey you can not use a rifle, so i have to use a shotgun. I have a rem 1100 with a slug barrel and a scope mounted up. However that gun is only 2 3/4. Also, in jersey you have to have your shotgun plugged so it can only hold 3 shells.

I am pumped up for this hunt and can't wait for decemeber, howevere i know i am going to be scared as hell when a 600lb 10ft long male black bear comes walking towards me. I want to have the most firepower i can. I want to make sure i stop the bear in its tracks. A pissed off bear is not something you want running around. What shotgun would you recommend me buying. Are those sabot slugs better then traditional? I'd like to find a gun to run 3 1/2in slugs if one is available.

If you have any other tips for bear hunting post them.

thanks matt

4wheelboy
08-31-2003, 05:40 PM
i didint even know we had bears in nj??:confused:

but then agian that might of been wut the big black thing that ran across the trail at georges was??:huh :scary:

Diedrich
08-31-2003, 06:05 PM
any kind of winchester, remington, or benelli shotgun that holds 3 1/2 inch shells should be good. make sure u use slugs.

Pappy
09-01-2003, 03:00 AM
i use a remington 11-87 sp. 3 1/2 inch magnum shells are nice but hard to control if a second or 3rd shot is required. check out the remington 3 inch copper solid.

and good luck....i wanna bear hunt too:p

and jersey is loaded with black bears:eek:

Tommy 17
09-01-2003, 04:08 AM
ur freakin crazy u shoot a bear with a shot gun... u can use slugs etc but thats nutz:eek: if i were u i'd def have a side arm on me...

i've seen bears take hits from .338 ultra mags and still not go down... and thats 250lbs ones... it took me 6 shots to kill mine with a .270...

the most effective way to get a bear... we got 5 in 3 years now doin this... DRIVE THEM!!!!!!! it takes about 30 guyz... have 20 walk and 10 post... and drive them... u'd be amazed how many u actually see...

Atreyu
09-01-2003, 04:20 AM
I saw two bears the other day.... they are starting to get bad around here...

4wheelboy
09-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Atreyu
I saw two bears the other day.... they are starting to get bad around here...

must be only in the north:confused:

09-01-2003, 05:31 AM
my dad uses diff guns everytime i go hunting and he converted a 410 shot gun into a handgun! that **** will knock a bear on his ***! so do that and have you somethin else

Tommy 17
09-01-2003, 05:54 AM
:o lmfao u go shoot a bear with a .410 and when hes munchin on ur @$$ for lunch i'll be standin there lmfao at u...

the only reason the 410 pistol if u can even do that kicks alot is probably bc its got a cut down barrel and its light...:o

250x#93
09-01-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
:o lmfao u go shoot a bear with a .410 and when hes munchin on ur @$$ for lunch i'll be standin there lmfao at u...

HAHAHA lmgdao

electricstart
09-01-2003, 08:27 AM
I dont want to tell you the wrong thing,but I think your shot gun with 23/4 slugs will do the job. Use magnums,dont shot to far of a shot, 30 to 60 yards.Practice at the distance you want to shot to see if you are acurate. You can get sabots if you have a rified barrel and they are pretty acurate,but you have to practice. You can also get a rifled barrel for your gun if you dont have one already. Velocity is about the same 2/34 and 3inch slugs,you cannot get 31/2 inch slugs,I dont think. Hunters take bear with a bow,so a slug in the right spot will work,no problem. Practice making the right shot,that is the most important part. Check with a sport shop,but I think you will be fine,unless you need a new gun. Good Luck

MOFO
09-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by [X]Z4000[X]
my dad uses diff guns everytime i go hunting and he converted a 410 shot gun into a handgun! that **** will knock a bear on his ***! so do that and have you somethin else

LMAO... I'm gonna save your ***. Dont go shootin a bear with a 410... its just going to piss him off.

My dad has a small over under 410 handgun (real hand gun), yes it kicks a little (very small hand gun) but WILL not kill a bear by itself in normal situations. He keeps this gun in his truck for safety reasons... :D

My father killed a bear around 8 years ago. Shot it 3 times in the kill zone with his 30-06 then at close range unloaded his .357... this finally killed it. Keep in mind this was a smaller black bear too... around 320lbs I think.

Now to stay on topic, yes a shot gun can kill a bear... get one that will use a 3" or 3.5" shell though....your gonna need the extra power. As Tommy suggested, carry a side arm. You should always carry a side arm when hunting bear IMO no matter what your main weapon is...

You also asked about the Sabot slugs... we used to use them for dear hunting in areas where a rifle was not allowed. If I remember right, they are basically a mean hollow point slug. Instead of just entering the body and making a large hole, the sabot slug will "explode" into smaller pieces and cause more internal damage.

MOFO
09-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by electricstart
you cannot get 31/2 inch slugs,I dont think.

Yes you can.

MOFO
09-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by electricstart
I dont want to tell you the wrong thing,but I think your shot gun with 23/4 slugs will do the job. Use magnums,dont shot to far of a shot, 30 to 60 yards.Practice at the distance you want to shot to see if you are acurate. You can get sabots if you have a rified barrel and they are pretty acurate,but you have to practice. You can also get a rifled barrel for your gun if you dont have one already. Velocity is about the same 2/34 and 3inch slugs,you cannot get 31/2 inch slugs,I dont think. Hunters take bear with a bow,so a slug in the right spot will work,no problem. Practice making the right shot,that is the most important part. Check with a sport shop,but I think you will be fine,unless you need a new gun. Good Luck

you are correct, a 2 3/4 shell can take down a bear just as a bow does. You just need to be very accurate with your hit. Just my opinion, if I'm shooting a bear, I want that thing to drop in the least amount of time vs shots....larger and more powerful shells will help make up for a less precise shot.

CowsBitePeople
09-01-2003, 10:22 AM
I get bears alot over here too where r u in nj mrusk? What town in sussex??

DillonTMNT
09-01-2003, 09:04 PM
I am not even going to start with how this is makingme feel thinking about yall killing bears......:mad:

-Dillon

MOFO
09-02-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by DillonTMNT
I am not even going to start...

-Dillon

Thats good. :D

Pappy
09-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by DillonTMNT
I am not even going to start with how this is makingme feel thinking about yall killing bears......:mad:

-Dillon

bear stew...bear roast...smoked bear...yummmmm

get over it....there are alot of people that dont like you riding your atv so dont be against those that hunt:)

ScrnNmsSUCK
09-02-2003, 03:12 AM
Atreyu I saw two bears the other day.... they are starting to get bad around here...

Yea that was pretty scary. We saw a mom with its cub. They were only like 30 ft away.

Juggalo
09-02-2003, 08:00 AM
i use an elephant gun :devil:

cheetah
09-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Potato Gun.:devil:

J/K Did anybody here about that record grizzly in Anchorage, Alaska? A buddy of mine e-mailed me the story. It's pretty cool and would be scary as h*** if I ever run into something this big, just be careful out there guys.

A bear attack in Alaska
> > >
> > >
> > > Not for the "faint-at-heart"! Only look at the last picture if you
>have
> > > a strong stomach, the bear was hungry. The following pictures are of a
> > > guy who works for the Forest Service in Alaska. He was out deer
>hunting.
> > > A large world record Grizzly charged him from about 50 yards away. The
> > > guy unloaded a 7mm Mag Semi-auto into the bear and it dropped a few
>feet
> > > from him. The monster was still alive so he reloaded and capped it in
> > > the head. It was over one thousand six hundred pounds, 12'6" high at
>the
> > > shoulder,14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear
>ever
> > > recorded in the world. Of course, the game department did not let him
> > > keep it. It will be mounted and put on display at the Anchorage
>airport
> > > (to remind tourist's of the risks involved when in the wild). Think
> > > about it. You would be level with the bears belly button when he
>stood,
> > > he would look you in the eye when walking! This bear on its hind legs
> > > could walk up to the average single story house and look over the roof
> > > at eye level. The bear had killed 2 other people. His last meal was
>the
> > > poor fellow on a nature hike. (Third gruesome picture)The Forest
>Service
> > > found his 38-caliber emptied.
> > > He shot 6-times and hit the grizzly 4(they found seven 7mm slugs and
> > > four 38 caliber slugs in him) but obviously only wounded him since it
> > > was
> > > estimated to be 3 days prior to the bears death by the Forest Service
> > > man.

I've got the pics too. This thing is huge!:eek2: I don't know how to post them though.:(

Pappy
09-02-2003, 10:50 AM
our bear population in maryland is growing. they have been seen in almost every county west of the chesepeake bay.

Tommy 17
09-02-2003, 12:55 PM
dillion im' not tryin to fight here...

but its the fact of life... something has to die for me to live... i'm on the top of the food chain... its the fact of life:cool:

remember u can't grill em if u don't kill em:p

H440exconfused
09-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
ur freakin crazy u shoot a bear with a shot gun... u can use slugs etc but thats nutz:eek: if i were u i'd def have a side arm on me...

i've seen bears take hits from .338 ultra mags and still not go down... and thats 250lbs ones... it took me 6 shots to kill mine with a .270...

the most effective way to get a bear... we got 5 in 3 years now doin this... DRIVE THEM!!!!!!! it takes about 30 guyz... have 20 walk and 10 post... and drive them... u'd be amazed how many u actually see...

I personally have shot a black bear and killed it. He is mounted on the Gun room wall, and I personally would like to use my 45-70 or a 444, but If i couldnt, I definately would take a 12 guage with 3" or 3 1/2 " mags versus my 338 win magthe 300 ,or a 270, 243, 25-06, those guns have two small of rounds and are very fast they will go through a bear with out even phaseing it, if it catches a bone the round tends to fragment and not do as much damage. You want a slow heavy round that has extreme knockdown power and holds lots of conectic energy, and goes through the brush. Just my .02