PDA

View Full Version : adjusting valves after hotcam install?

cals400ex
08-31-2003, 01:35 PM
my friend and i just installed pistons and cams. i went with stage 2 and my friend went with stage 1. i was just wondering if everyone was using the .005 and .006 valve clearances for both cams? the reason i ask is because we set my friends a little loose at first and it made ticking noises like heck. we tightened them down to about .005 and .006 and it did quite it down. however, they still ticked more than they should. we went back in and tightened them down until it was tough to move the feeler guage while using the .005 and .006. this quited it down more, however they are still louder than when they were stock. should he go down to the factory adjustements? i haven't started my bike yet, but should i go tighter too? any suggestions?

cheetah
08-31-2003, 02:08 PM
Not sure about the stage 1, but on my stage two I'm running at 5 and 6. Hope this helps. BTW what kind of exhaust do you have on that thing?

Dune Surfer
08-31-2003, 04:53 PM
More lift and duration would make it louder I would thimk.

speedy400
08-31-2003, 05:03 PM
I have a stage 2, I adjusted them... moderatly(some amount of drag on the 5 and 6 feelers).-darren

speedy400
08-31-2003, 05:14 PM
oh yeah I havnt heard ANY ticking from the motor,cals400ex- BTW the problem with my 416 was the jetting it was WAY rich.-darren

cals400ex
08-31-2003, 05:45 PM
i am running the sparks x-6 exhaust.

jetting as of now: 45 pilot, 3 turns out on fuel skrew, 3rd position on the needle, and 162 main jet.

mods: 86mm ross 10.8 piston, thinner head gasket, stage 2, modded lid, sparks ignition box, and x-6 pipe.

my jetting seemed ok. i drove the bike now for about 20 minutes and maybe the pilot is just a little rich. the plug was a tan color, however, it was not a light tan like i prefer. i had the 45 pilot in because i had the choke removed, but i think i got more top end power with the choke in even though the throttle response was good with it out. i put it back in though. i read articles about "smaller intake ports make more power." this just gets me thinking about things (the choke is a prime example). i know bigger does not always mean better. for the 20 minutes i rode the bike, it seemed to run good, but i never was flooring the heck out of it since i am breaking it in still.

i can see more lift and duration making it louder. i don't know the specs on the two cams off the top of my head, but i know the bike with the stage 1 ticks louder than the bike with the stage 2??