PDA

View Full Version : need help on diesel

rider250ex
08-31-2003, 11:11 AM
my we have a diesel isuzu 4 cylinder air compressor. we tried starting it today but it wont start. it will turn over and has compression but wont start. we have tried some quick sprays of starting fluid in it but it still wont start...does anyone have any clue what could be wrong with it

Adam202
08-31-2003, 11:28 AM
get some ether or however you spell it, and spray it in the intake n try again ;) .

Bill Fuller
08-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Have you checked to see if the diesel has water in it?If it sat for a while that would cause the fuel to get water.Most diesel motors have a collector for the water(a filter or such).

rider250ex
08-31-2003, 11:52 AM
the fuel is good and we have been sprayin quick sprays of starter fluid in

TheRedRebel17
08-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by rider250ex
the fuel is good and we have been sprayin quick sprays of starter fluid in

A motor needs 3 things....air, spark and fuel, you get those 3 things you get a running motor

400exr
08-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Don't spray too much either in it or you'll wreck your motor!!. I bet it's sucking air, if your fuel system has air bubbles in it then she won't start. Does your injector pump have a bleeder valve on it? If it does then open it up and turn over the motor a few times and watch for any air bubbles. Do this till all the air bubbles are gone and just fuel is coming out, then close it. Now try starting it again. If it doesen't have a bleeder valve then try opening one of your injectors at the cylinderhead while trying to start your motor and watch for any air bubbles, let them all out and close it while the engine is cranking over. Once you get all the air out it should start ;) .

Texan32
08-31-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TheRedRebel17
A motor needs 3 things....air, spark and fuel, you get those 3 things you get a running motor

here's a guick engine lesson. Diesel engines DON'T need spark:eek2: They do however need glow plugs to warm up the combustion chamber. If the glow plugs are not warming up, you won't get 'er to run. Also, like 400exer said, make sure you don't have an air bubble in the fuel line. Also, using gasoline quick start fluid in a diesel is BAD! That is a good way to gernade an engine. If you need some kind of starting fluid, use WD-40. Yes, i said WD-40.:D

I would start with the glow plugs. Especially with older engines, you really gotta heat them up first!

Adam202
08-31-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Texan32
here's a guick engine lesson. Diesel engines DON'T need spark:eek2:
thats how they spark tho, by glowplugs, so technically they do spark :eek2:

Pappy
08-31-2003, 12:40 PM
dont diesels "fire" from compression?

all i know about diesels is what my pappy told me....."run a tank of kerosene thru it and she'll be fine":p

bmw500hp
08-31-2003, 12:41 PM
my we have a diesel isuzu 4 cylinder air compressor. we tried starting it today but it wont start. it will turn over and has compression but wont start. we have tried some quick sprays of starting fluid in it but it still wont start...does anyone have any clue what could be wrong with it

Have you achieved combustion at all or at any time, even shortly with the fluid? How had the motor been running prior to the problem?

400exr
08-31-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Adam202

No, they don't!! :huh LOL All a glow plug does is heat up the combution chamber. It doesen't spark it glows:p A diesel runs because the compression heats up the diesel/air mixture so much it ignites (sp). To do this, sometimes the combution chamber must be warm or hot inorder for the engine to start.

08-31-2003, 12:51 PM
Talk to jerry (AtvMxRider) he works on deisels for a living.

rider250ex
08-31-2003, 12:55 PM
ok...my dad got it from his company. it was just sitting there so he grabbed it. we dont even know if it ran before he took it. the fuel seems fine, it turns over, and it seems like there is some combustion goin on because there is some exhaust comin out when we turn it over. and the glow plugs are working. so im not sure. and thanks 93 300ex. i will talk to him

Adam202
08-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exr
No, they don't!! :huh LOL All a glow plug does is heat up the combution chamber. It doesen't spark it glows:p A diesel runs because the compression heats up the diesel/air mixture so much it ignites (sp). To do this, sometimes the combution chamber must be warm or hot inorder for the engine to start.
but it would eventually create a spark when it fires correct? i know what a glow plug does i am into gas powered r/c cars and i know a lil about diesels. yes it glows gets hot eventually creates a spark when the gas and air are mixed. so technically im correct, correct?

Adam202
08-31-2003, 01:07 PM
ok...my dad got it from his company. it was just sitting there so he grabbed it. we dont even know if it ran before he took it. the fuel seems fine, it turns over, and it seems like there is some combustion goin on because there is some exhaust comin out when we turn it over. and the glow plugs are working. so im not sure. and thanks 93 300ex. i will talk to him sounds like dirty gas if you ask me...

TheRedRebel17
08-31-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Texan32
here's a guick engine lesson. Diesel engines DON'T need spark:eek2:

Well, thanks for makin me look like a dumbass in front of everyone:p :p :eek:
:blah:

But seriously, i didnt know that. thanks for the mechanical lesson for today:)

AtvMxRider
08-31-2003, 01:44 PM

Shut up and go back in the corner......:scary:

Adam202
08-31-2003, 01:45 PM
if the glow plug just heated up it would do nothing, it gets hot enough to create a spark when the air/gas mixture enters the combustion chamber. so technically it sparks. is that why diesels have trouble starting in the cold or something? the glow plug cant get hot enough to create a spark? because it sure is a pain starting our VW turbo deisel in the cold.

Adam202
08-31-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
:ermm: :o :(

:D

08-31-2003, 01:49 PM

didn't i warn u guys already????? these kids these days don't listen worth a fart. :ermm:

400exr
08-31-2003, 03:10 PM
if the glow plug just heated up it would do nothing, it gets hot enough to create a spark when the air/gas mixture enters the combustion chamber. so technically it sparks. is that why diesels have trouble starting in the cold or something? the glow plug cant get hot enough to create a spark? because it sure is a pain starting our VW turbo deisel in the cold.

You don't give up do you!!!:D LOL Well It doesen't create a spark, it just heats up the combustion camber so that it can start,you only use it to start a diesel. When the fuel/air mixture ignites it just explodes from the intense heat, theres never a spark. I live on a ranch and we own atleast 30 different kinds of diesel powerd machines from 10hp generators to 600 hp dozers. I've worked on them all. Sometimes I even work for a logging company which only uses huge diesel motors in their machines. Trust me, I think I know what i'm talking about;)

rowlrag
08-31-2003, 03:18 PM
Believe it or not but there are alot of diesel's that don't have glow plugs, alot of diesels not so much newer ones but heavy equipment and big rigs use ether injection canisters mounted on the engine controlled by the operator. Diesel don't "spark" they combust, they run around 18-1 compression and higher, the piston compresses the fuel and it blows up. An R/C glow plug aqctually has a glowing element which is needed to burn the nitro in it's fuel, once the power is taken from the plug the explosion from the compressed fuel keeps the plug lit. Diesel glow plugs only aid in starting, they warm up the fuel mixture and cylinder head a little to aid in starting, once it's running the plugs shut off usually by a relay like on Ford and GM. If you have to rely on the glow plugs especially in hot weather to start you may be low on compression or the plugs are worn out and you think they are working correctly.

Adam202
08-31-2003, 04:07 PM
i understand the difference now, thxs ;)

AtvMxRider
08-31-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Believe it or not but there are alot of diesel's that don't have glow plugs, alot of diesels not so much newer ones but heavy equipment and big rigs use ether injection canisters mounted on the engine controlled by the operator. Diesel don't "spark" they combust, they run around 18-1 compression and higher, the piston compresses the fuel and it blows up. An R/C glow plug aqctually has a glowing element which is needed to burn the nitro in it's fuel, once the power is taken from the plug the explosion from the compressed fuel keeps the plug lit. Diesel glow plugs only aid in starting, they warm up the fuel mixture and cylinder head a little to aid in starting, once it's running the plugs shut off usually by a relay like on Ford and GM. If you have to rely on the glow plugs especially in hot weather to start you may be low on compression or the plugs are worn out and you think they are working correctly.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. Rowlrag is right guys.....:D

Adam202
08-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. Rowlrag is right guys.....:D
so if you know its right how come you never mentioned so in the thread???:eek2:

:D j/k

SGA
08-31-2003, 09:41 PM
A diesel engine works on the fact that when you compress air, it gets very hot. A gas engine's compression reads about 100-175 psi. A spark plug ignites the gas/air mixture.
A diesel engine's compression reads about 500 psi. That compressed air in the cylinder is about 1000 degrees:eek: . When the piston is very close to the top, on the compression stroke, a injector squirts a mist of diesel fuel into the cylinder. The intense heat causes the diesel fuel to ignite.
When a diesel engine is cold, the cold steel cylinders pull too much heat away to allow the air to get hot enough to ignite the diesel fuel. They put glow plugs on a diesel engine to pre warm the air going into the cylinder.
A glow plug has a little coil of wire on it that glows bright red.
ALL IT DOES is heat the air going into the cylinder to help the combustion process get going.
http://www.tpub.com/eqopbas/3.htm

TheRedRebel17
09-01-2003, 03:17 AM
AHHh

Look here to see how it works
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel1.htm

I can offcially say I'm smarter because of this thread.heh :devil:

bmw500hp
09-01-2003, 03:55 AM
ok...my dad got it from his company. it was just sitting there so he grabbed it. we dont even know if it ran before he took it. the fuel seems fine, it turns over, and it seems like there is some combustion goin on because there is some exhaust comin out when we turn it over. and the glow plugs are working. so im not sure. and thanks 93 300ex. i will talk to him

I am not an expert but maintain commercial motors here from 26 to 250hp.

#1 Establish that correct fuel flow is present and un-obstructed.

A- From the Fuel tank, Check to see if there is a screen at the outlet of the fuel tank. Remove screen, check for obstruction and clean.

B-Check to see that fuel flow coninues though primary and remaining filtration and re-circulation is present.

C-Remove an injector, check for correct injector function and no line clogs are present.

Use a product available at your local "napa" or other reseller called "Sea-Foam". Treat the fuel and use aerosol to freely where necessary.

Contact the manufacturer for a manual etc. Call, ask for technical support, Have serial numbers on hand. Introduce yourself by name and ask for assistance.

On this site, "methylman" He is #1 Mack Deisel Mechanic not that others do not know, I just know methyl can assist.

Good luck

AtvMxRider
09-01-2003, 04:00 AM
so if you know its right how come you never mentioned so in the thread???:eek2:

:D j/k

Cause I've been talking to the guy threw pm's.:rolleyes:

big-guy
09-01-2003, 06:07 AM
is it turning over fast enough? I assume it's electric start, Is the battery fully charged? Glow plugs and a starter put a healthy drain on a battery. Is the compressor disengaged somehow, so there is no load on the engine while cranking?

F-16Guy
09-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Bleed the injectors and check the injection timing. Injection timing on a diesel is the equivalent of ignition timing on a gas engine.

RobMax
05-29-2014, 01:02 PM
A glow plug has a little coil of wire on it that glows bright red. ALL IT DOES is heat the air going into the cylinder to help the combustion process get going.
http://www.tpub.com/eqopbas/3.htm

If you suspect a preheater or glowplug system not working you could try the following:
1. move engine into warm building. need to let it sit minimum of eight hours to warm up.
2. pour 5 or 6 large pots of boiling water over air intake manifold to warm metal.
3. use a electric heat gun (paint remover) or hair blower to blow warm air intake engine intake while cranking. This preheats air. When engine starts keep heat gun going while engine warms up. Just don't melt the air filter with heat gun...
** DO NOT use starting fluid when doing this!

Can diagnose glowplug system with voltmeter. Test for minimum of 9 to 10 VDC at EACH glowplug. Only need a couple dead ones for engine to not start. Can be wiring, solenoid, or glowplugs.

Hope this helps.

miller821
05-29-2014, 01:34 PM
If you suspect a preheater or glowplug system not working you could try the following:
1. move engine into warm building. need to let it sit minimum of eight hours to warm up.
2. pour 5 or 6 large pots of boiling water over air intake manifold to warm metal.
3. use a electric heat gun (paint remover) or hair blower to blow warm air intake engine intake while cranking. This preheats air. When engine starts keep heat gun going while engine warms up. Just don't melt the air filter with heat gun...
** DO NOT use starting fluid when doing this!

Can diagnose glowplug system with voltmeter. Test for minimum of 9 to 10 VDC at EACH glowplug. Only need a couple dead ones for engine to not start. Can be wiring, solenoid, or glowplugs.

Hope this helps.

This thread is 11 years old, I doubt it's going to help them too much. Maybe someone else will see this and learn something though.:p