PDA

View Full Version : My quad wont start...help

cyba888
08-30-2003, 11:25 PM
I tried to start my 400ex today but it just wont start. Havent really rode it for about 3 months or so, what could be the problem? It wouldnt start for 10 minutes so I just gave up as the battery started to die. Any ideas?

Bill Fuller
08-31-2003, 03:34 AM
Is the kill switch on? Have you checked for spark?Gas turned on?If all else fails try getting someone to pull it,try roll starting.

cyba888
08-31-2003, 03:45 AM
Yea I checked everything, gas and kill switch. I know for sure its not that because it did start for a split second but it wouldnt fully start, even played with choke. Maybe its the spark plugs, it has been sitting for a long time so could the spark plug be the problem?

Bill Fuller
08-31-2003, 03:51 AM
Check the plug for spark,pull it and leave it attached to the boot and ground it out then hit the starter.You should clearly see a spark,if not than change it.

SobeAHonda
08-31-2003, 04:31 AM
If none of that works, you could take off your air filter and spray some carb cleaner into the opening (does have to at least turn over). It should clean it out a little, just don't spray too much at one time. After you spray it let it idle for a little then put your air filter back on. That worked on mine.

cyba888
08-31-2003, 05:08 AM
Check the plug for spark,pull it and leave it attached to the boot and ground it out then hit the starter

Does it mean to take it out and touch the engine case with it, I remember this but forgot how it works. Shouldnt I see the spark if I just let it hang?

RoadkillerRyan
08-31-2003, 07:02 AM
probably just flooded the engine let it sit for while then try to start it and check the gas vavle again and make sure its on ON

Rip_Tear
08-31-2003, 09:12 AM
It could be a lot of things, there is a post very much like this in this forum, try reading some of the info it it, ithe link is

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70754

ReconRider25
09-01-2003, 03:28 PM
just use some starting fluid. works on my '87 250 every time.

09-01-2003, 04:07 PM
is the engine turning or is anything making a clicking noise? if it is then your battery is dead, if you have no noise than check all the wires...

R-Crazy
09-02-2003, 03:41 AM
i would first replace the plug, make sure there is no wild life hiding in your airboot or anything else clogging it up. get some fresh fuel, get rid of the old stuff, and let it run on that. a little starter fluid and the choke and u should be running. give it a shot.

dave

powersmoke03
09-04-2003, 02:31 AM
My bike did that after sittin for about a month. Smell your gas, probaly doesn't smell like gas does it? Drain your gas and your carb. Take your plug out and clean that real well and use carb cleaner to clean your carb. If that doesn't work pull your carb off and dismantle it and clean it real good. I pulled the meterin rod out of mine and it was full of s#$t, wouldn't even move. If your bike is gonna sit for that long put some fuel stabilizer in it and run all the gas out of the carb before storing it.

Sean

rustidchevy454
09-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Look man first what is wrong with you!!.You let that hunk of junk sit that long?.First spray about 2 second's of starting fluid on the filter if it doesnt work then take your plug out and test it,blue spark is the best so if you dont have blue spark get a new plug.You can also take a hair dryer and put it up to your oil pan and let it sit for a half hour-45 min's and then try if all else fail's see your dealer and get a Yamaha!!!!!.:D

Bill Fuller
09-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Yamaha my ***** what is up with your chitty attitude?Pro,I doubt that ....:rolleyes: If thats all the advice you have to give keep it to yourself:mad:

cyba888
09-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, havent had a chance to fix it yet but will try it this weekend. Ill let you know how it turns out ;)

09-05-2003, 12:27 AM
where were ya last weekend bill? :confused:

rustidchevy454
09-05-2003, 04:23 AM
Crazy didnt you know Bill was doing his mom,god!.And I am,I repeat I am Mr.Moto if you didnt notice Bill I own one of the biggest business' in MD.So you keep your incest storie's to yourself!.And good luck on the 400 kid

Bill Fuller
09-06-2003, 06:18 PM
I believe it was your mother I was doing rusty.I don't care how many lollipops you sell to your queer friends dichead!!!Why don't you go back to the gay sites you came from or is it that you are tired of looking at pictures of your daddy showing his "package" to anyone who will pay,I'm sure you have seen enough of it already.Moto man who gives a chit who you are or what state you came from.With an attitude like yours the only thing I would buy from you is....well not a damn thing.I reccommend that nobody else does either.

rustidchevy454
09-07-2003, 10:43 AM
LOL Your a cool guy now.And why are we evern getting into this argument?.I have no clue what ever truce my friend?.

Bill Fuller
09-07-2003, 10:23 PM
~Peace~