PDA

View Full Version : Timing Advanced Key Installation

JhallettEX
01-28-2002, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know the step by step installation for a Curtis Sparks Timing Key, I bought one over the net and only got the key with no directions.

JhallettEX
01-28-2002, 05:08 PM
Before someone answers this questions lets make sure that this is a CS Timing key first. When I bought my shocks and axle the kid said he would throw in this key as well, then he emailed me and said he could not find it, but when I recieved the shocks and axle this was also with it:

01-28-2002, 06:34 PM
The photo you posted is not a timing key. What you are looking for is a Woodruff key that keys the flywheel to the crankshaft. It is a small piece of metal about 1/2" long and about 1/8" wide, flat on the top and rounded on the bottom with a small notch cut into the top edge. It should come with a flywheel puller--basically a large bolt. You will need an alternator cover gasket as the old one will probably come apart when you remove the cover.

To install the key--remove the alternator cover, pull off the flywheel, install the key with the notch in the upper right corner when looking at the crankshaft end with the key at the top. Slide the flywheel on the key and turn it counterclockwise and tighten with original bolt. Re-install cover with new gasket and you are good to go.