PDA

View Full Version : replacing swingarm pivot bolt and bearings

brian400ex
08-30-2003, 02:24 AM
Well my bolt won't come out and i barely got it to turn. I haven't beat on it too much yet though. I just ordered a new bolt and nut and will soon be ordering a bearing kit. My question is what all do i need to remove to get the swingarm off? Any tips on getting that bolt out would be nice too. After i get this done i am planning to take the bolt out every once in a while to grease it (unlike the previous owner). Will it be easy to get out?

Thanks
Brian

4TraxRider
08-30-2003, 07:29 AM
Do a search for this. There's all kinds of info on the pivot bolt.

chrisp333
08-30-2003, 06:14 PM
just reading about this in the new dirt wheels, the question in the dialed in section on page 206. bacically it says that the pivot bolt isrusted to the pivot bearings and if a sledgehammer and a punch doesnt work then your best off cutting off the bolts head and pounding it out backwards. and kind of lubrication (wd 40) wont work because the bearings are dust sealed. if a punch doesnt work try a metal rod that is just smaller than the pivot bolt. this allows more transfer of force to the pivot bolt from the sledge hammer than a punch. WHEN THE PIVOT BOLT DOES RELEASE IF WILLDO SO SUDDENLY AND PROB. FLY OUT THE OTHER SIDE SO MAKE SURE NOONE IS STANDING THERE WHEN YOU ARE DOING SO.

hope this helps. good idea to take it out and lube it once and a while