PDA

View Full Version : How not to rebuild a motor!

Butters
08-30-2003, 02:16 AM
well its been 31 years since the motor has been new and it was starting to smoke so me and my dad decide to rebuild my '72 chevy cheyenne motor. we had already spent the 2 years before i was 16 giving her a face lift so now we figured it was time for some internal work. so we take out the motor order all the parts and get to work. we take our time trying to do it right. we spend a week putting it together. so sunday night it is all ready to go everything is back together and ready to go. i go and i hit the key and nothing happens...not a click or hit or anything. so after so looking we figured out the starter wasn't hooked up right. ok no big deal we go and now she cranks but nothing is happening. come to find out my dad cut the wire that went to the distributar. so we fix that and now it fires but it doesn't start. so we spent all night on that and it still doesn't work. so the next day my dad has these guys come over that race drag cars and know i little more about motors than we do. well come to find out my truck has no compression because my dad ordered the wrong rings. i was so pissed off. so we had to pull the thing back out and put new rings in it. we get it done again and go to crank it and she fires right up. i was so happy. i went and drove it around and it drove like crap. i mean it was doggier than hell. so my dad drove it around and said that it was the timing. so we fixed that and it ran a ton better. that next morning i was all excited i got in it and drove to town washed it went to friends and started on my way home. well on the way home when i stopped at a stop sign i thought i heard a noise. so i come home and pop the hood with it runnin and i hear this knocking sound. i mean it is loud. and i mean loud. it was knocking so hard you could feel it on the truck. so my dad comes home from work. and listens to it and was like i think its a rod. so we were pissed together for a few. so instead of pulling it we just pulled the motor mounts and tranny mounts and jacked it up and pulled the oil pan to see if it really was the rods. well we did find a few of them loose, but the reason they were loose was because the whole crank is moving back and forth. so now thats what i will be doing today. trying to put a spacer in there so it won't move anymore. just thought i would share this with you cause i think its the true meaning of a pisser. oh well. i'm sure it could have been worse!

J25
08-30-2003, 06:31 AM
wow i hope u get everything fixed

Butters
08-30-2003, 06:52 AM
me too. the only way i could replace my truck would be to sell my quad. :(

Rip_Tear
08-30-2003, 02:42 PM
wow, that sucks, but atleast you have a truck, are working on it, with your dad, and you getting a great experience! :D Have fun! Don't get too mad :D and good luck!:macho

Butters
09-01-2003, 08:55 AM
well its been another 2 days and we have torn it apart again and it still knocks. its looking like i am going to have to buy another truck.

CowsBitePeople
09-01-2003, 10:26 AM
oh man that sucks....whats gunna go wrong next lol find a nice cheap motor that runs good or something save up some but dont sell the 4 wheeler:macho

Butters
09-01-2003, 03:32 PM
yeah we figured out today it has major crank problems, so we are going to get a short block and go from there. i don't know what to do. i have to have a truck, so the quad might have to go.:(

nakomis0
09-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Seriously take this advice....

dont drink beers and work on your stuff. Maybe a beer or 2 but if your knocking a case of beer out while working on ur truck ur just asking for troubles.:cool:

I had the same type of problems when i did a motor swap with my drunk uncle. :blah: