PDA

View Full Version : Help quick bike isnt running right? im not sure

KASCHAK
08-29-2003, 05:56 PM
my friend has a kdx200 and i was wondering if they have a powerband. it rides like a 4 stroke bike. no powerband. and it dont smell right the smoke. hes running klotz now and it smells differnt. before he was running benle or whatever. smelled differnet from what evrhing else that runs that oil.

soo does the kdx have a powerband? why doesnt this one have one? how do ya fix this? and the smell what will make it smell likee that? ohh and one more question how do you get rid of all the carbin build up in the pipe?

4wheelboy
08-29-2003, 06:08 PM
yes it has a power band 4 stroke bikes you just cant feel it as much as a 2 stroke:)

batgeek
08-29-2003, 06:17 PM
was it acting funny before he switched oil brands?

could be multiple things...new top end rebuild, reeds....

oh yeah, what year...i know the newer ones with the KIPS and guillotine valve feel a whole lot like a 4stk bike.

KASCHAK
08-29-2003, 06:45 PM
nope just had it rebuilt. we think it might be the reeds. they might have a hairline crack. it always acted funky since he got it. we just thought that it ddint have a powerband. then it was rebuilt and still did it. its a early 90s not sure on the exact year.

Ralph
08-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by KASCHAK
nope just had it rebuilt. we think it might be the reeds. they might have a hairline crack. it always acted funky since he got it. we just thought that it ddint have a powerband. then it was rebuilt and still did it. its a early 90s not sure on the exact year.

if its a 4-stoke it doesnt have reeds...

batgeek
08-29-2003, 07:50 PM
its not a 4stk.

chucked
08-31-2003, 03:33 PM
its a 2 stroke. My neighbor had a kdx220 and the power band was actually broke (the linkaging somewhere split) so he didnt have a power band. also the piece that broke got jammed in the tranny and stuck it in 2nd gear. I dont know how you would check it though. i would tear it down one day to see if anything is wrong. replace the reeds if thats what you think is wrong since your already taking it apart.

TheRedRebel17
08-31-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by chucked
its a 2 stroke. My neighbor had a kdx220 and the power band was actually broke (the linkaging somewhere split) so he didnt have a power band. also the piece that broke got jammed in the tranny and stuck it in 2nd gear. I dont know how you would check it though. i would tear it down one day to see if anything is wrong. replace the reeds if thats what you think is wrong since your already taking it apart.

Ya..my stage 3 powerband broke too..:confused:

Crazy4bluEx
08-31-2003, 03:40 PM
LOLOLOL it broke? *insert b.s. meter*

i got the gold stage 3 power bands with titanium muffler bearings :eek2: :p

TheRedRebel17
08-31-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Crazy4bluEx
LOLOLOL it broke? *insert b.s. meter*

i got the gold stage 3 power bands with titanium muffler bearings :eek2: :p

hmm that makes two cases..one for me and one for chuck...They said it was unbreakable :confused: :scary:

TheRedRebel17
08-31-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by TheRedRebel17
hmm that makes two cases..one for me and one for chuck...They said it was unbreakable :confused: :scary: [

Oh and BTW: the titaminum bearings are too light...they sacrafice rideability. :ermm:
I like the stanlesssteel ones myself...perfect for MX:macho

Crazy4bluEx
08-31-2003, 03:56 PM
Lmfao i think i may die... oh well people learn

"hey everybody gullible is written on your ceiling"

sly400ex
08-31-2003, 03:59 PM
Just run down to the local auto parts and get yourself a can of powerband, pour in the tank and presto...brand new powerband!:rolleyes: :confused:

TheRedRebel17
08-31-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Just run down to the local auto parts and get yourself a can of powerband, pour in the tank and presto...brand new powerband!:rolleyes: :confused:

I saw that too. Looks good, but did you actually try it?:ermm:

It messed up my stage 4 powerband.although it was red if it made a difference :ermm:

hondafox440
08-31-2003, 04:04 PM
He means powervalves.. lol.

Check the powervalves. If they don't open fully at higher RPMs, it will make the bike feel flat. Klotz is beneoil, so thats probably the same exact oil he was running before (I assume by 'benle' you mean beneoil). The reeds could possibly be cracked, but that would most likely affect throttle response more than top end power. KDXs are notoriously '4 strokish', meaning they don't have a very defined hit like an 80 or 125. Is it jetted right? I know here the temperature dropped suddenly, thus my 125 was running a little lean on the top end, so it wasn't running at full potential. Give the carb a good cleaning and check the jetting, check the powervalves and reeds, and do a compression test just for the hell of it. Did he use a forged piston when he rebuit it? Was it rebuilt and broken in properly (ie crosshatching the cylinder, going through several heat/cool cycles)?

t-balls400ex
08-31-2003, 04:06 PM
definitely a 2 stroke most likely the powervalves I think thats what my mech called them anyway they get gummed up and dont open properly or in my case they break then they might find the elusive powerband

chucked
08-31-2003, 04:09 PM
i meant power valve. the power valve was broken.

KASCHAK
09-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
He means powervalves.. lol.

Check the powervalves. If they don't open fully at higher RPMs, it will make the bike feel flat. Klotz is beneoil, so thats probably the same exact oil he was running before (I assume by 'benle' you mean beneoil). The reeds could possibly be cracked, but that would most likely affect throttle response more than top end power. KDXs are notoriously '4 strokish', meaning they don't have a very defined hit like an 80 or 125. Is it jetted right? I know here the temperature dropped suddenly, thus my 125 was running a little lean on the top end, so it wasn't running at full potential. Give the carb a good cleaning and check the jetting, check the powervalves and reeds, and do a compression test just for the hell of it. Did he use a forged piston when he rebuit it? Was it rebuilt and broken in properly (ie crosshatching the cylinder, going through several heat/cool cycles)?

nope it was just rebuild and it has a machined piston in it. not sure on which one. and he was running klotz and now hes running castor927 sorry about that. the jetting is good. but the throttle dont stick or nuttin but the reeds are cracked. we will check on the powervalve tomarrow see whats up wit that.