PDA

View Full Version : installing oil rings on piston???

cals400ex
08-29-2003, 03:52 PM
i just had my local dealer gap my rings on my new ross piston. i had them install all of the rings while they were at it. the thing is, they installed the ends on the oil rings up, instead of down. they do have the ends butting and not overlapping like they should be. is it a big deal if the ends are pointing up instead of down?? thanks

L.Vegas400
08-30-2003, 11:28 AM
i dont understand your question, what ends are pointing up?

cals400ex
08-30-2003, 01:57 PM
its probally hard to understand what i am asking unless you have used ross rings. on the oil rings, there is a top ring, bottom ring, and a ring that goes in the middle that is a zig zag shape. i am talking about the zig zag shaped ring. the ends i am talking about is when the ring is compressed and both sides of the ring meet each other or butt up against each other. anyways, where the ends meet, after being compressed, it can point up or down. it shows a picture on the piece of paper that came with the piston. i really can't explain it any better. sorry if i am confusing you.

UglyMotha™
08-30-2003, 02:19 PM
it doesn't matter which way the oil ring goes its the same no matter which way you turn it