PDA

View Full Version : AHHHH..ohh no, now what...PLEASE READ

400exbiggun
08-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Well first off i am posting this in the open forum, cause i really dont know what is wrong, and it seems most people view this place, so feel free to move it.

Any who, we just went to my one friends house, to see if he had any dirt bike tires for my new dirtbike. We found a rear, and then we were going to go to another kids house. You have to go on the road a while, but its not too long. Any way, i just crossed some rr tracks, when i hear a crunch....grrrrrrr...cling clang (all those good effects) and then my rear wheels just locked up and i skidded off the road. I was behind all my friends, so i waited for them to realize that i was not there. They came back, and all i could say is i dont know. When it was happening, i though that my skid plate just fell off or something. Then when i got off the bike i thought ohhh my god the oil. But i checked it before the ride and it was good. Well checked it then ald there was oil on the dipstick. Went around back, and there was nothing wrong, except a loose chain, and it had a little 'kink' in it. So i started it up, went like 5ft, and crunchhhhhhh, it locked up again. Then i got pissed and just putted back to my one friends house, a couple hundred yards away in first. The quad was rocking back and forth, kinda bad:huh . Like i was on a boat:confused2
The only thing i can think of is the front sprocket, if it is messed up or what. I cant go and look at it any time soon, cause i only had like 5min to peek at it, then his mom drove me home, and i work all tomorrow, sun, and mon, then school :grr:
so it might be awhile at his house. Any suggestions...PLEASE i have NO CLUE what so ever that it is. I just hope to god it is nothing in the motor

400exbiggun
08-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Could it also be the rear axle bearings are toast? but they were only a couple months old:confused:
but i shook the axle, and it is tight:ermm:

jerry-89-250R
08-29-2003, 01:45 PM
jack it up in the rear and check the axle with the wheels off the ground, also rotate the rear tires while it's up and look at the chain alignment, sounds like bearings

MotoX3
08-29-2003, 01:47 PM
what kinda bike is it?

400exbiggun
08-29-2003, 01:48 PM
if it is the bearings, i prob messed up the carrier then?

400exbiggun
08-29-2003, 01:49 PM
its my 400ex:mad:

jerry-89-250R
08-29-2003, 01:53 PM
if the bearings are only 2 months old your carrier may have been bad when you replaced them

400exbiggun
08-29-2003, 02:01 PM
well the carrier looked fine to me, there was no rust, no cracks, no scratches. The bearings musta been a ****ty kind then...GTS racing bearings off ebay:ermm:
well i cant do too much to it when it is at my friends house, and i think it would not be nice to pull it apart and leave it like that in his driveway. I am going to call him and see if they can drop it off tomorrow. (no truck)

400exbiggun
08-30-2003, 01:48 PM
well just got back from his house, and looked at my quad... i put the rear wheels off the ground, and the axle is still tight, except the axle bolt was WAY loose:( also, i would spin it and it would catch sometimes. But then i also saw that my rotor is bent, so that makes it slowdown at one point. But i think i will pull the axle off when i get it back, what do you think?

08-30-2003, 04:28 PM
its your axle bearings they grenaded, happend to my cousin a few weeks ago in the sandpits, it will feel like the rear end is tight but the bearings are junk now, dont buy any bearing besides oem honda , they are the only ones that will last, take the axle out and i gurantee there will be pieces of bearing falling out, you might need a new carrier , probaly chewed your axle up a bit too, dont freak out im sure its that, if not drain your oil and look for metal filings and what not, if its not either i have no idea:ermm:

400exbiggun
08-31-2003, 02:03 AM
Alright thanks, yes i think if it is that then my carrier is messed up, i didnt go too far, but all that noise could not be too good. If it is so, it will sit for a long while until i decide to fix it. And get more money cause i need new bearings in my front wheels:(
well i should be getting it back soon, so i will pull it apart no matter what time it is and i guess find out te problem.