PDA

View Full Version : Replacing axel bearings

nakomis0
08-28-2003, 06:49 PM
This job is a pain in the rear. After beating on it , heating it up and every other dang thing we can think of, for about 1hr the bearing breaks in 12 pieces and leaves the outer race still stuck in the carrier.:confused2 :mad: :grr:

So again we beat and heat, then remember to use the dremel... SoOo another hr. later and its out. Plus we had to grind down all the flaws and scratches that the carrier took in all the abuse.

I replaced bearings before but never like this. Just had to say that is way to hard.

Amd I still gotta go buy and install new bearings, I'm gonna try and throw that carrier in the fridge and see if that helps the install. Feels good to complain on here sometimes.:p

Sportrax10
08-28-2003, 08:02 PM
I went through that, but in the end I just bought a new Rad Tapered bearing carrier.:bandit: :macho

SLB400EX
08-29-2003, 12:38 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16357

this is the only way to do bearings

Taco
08-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Put the new bearings in the freezer and put the carrier in the oven. remember the heat makes it expand, cold makes it contract:D

nakomis0
08-29-2003, 03:15 AM
Thats a great thread about installing and removing bearings. I knew there had to be some easier way. I thought I didnt have the time to come on here and look lastnight but I should have. The 15 minutes it would of took would of saved me some time.:)

SLB400EX
08-29-2003, 03:21 AM
Replacing bearings..fun..huh??

We just finished up Rob's. Uuhhgggg.
We use that oven/freezer method every time we do the rear ends!! It's the only way to go....
Have Fun!
:blah:

later..Sher

Narly R
08-29-2003, 07:38 AM
I about smashed my head into my rear end TRYING to get that LST Berring Carrier inh because the O-ring things dont sty in!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :grr: :rolleyes: