PDA

View Full Version : Elka shockers

Arynock
08-28-2003, 02:59 PM
I've heard people say get Elkas w/o the rezzies or wahtever, whats the diff about getting one with or not?

08-28-2003, 03:03 PM
post this in the steering and suspension thread;) btw the shocks will cool faster and have less fading with rezzies but if u don't race don't get rezzies.

Narly R
08-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Dont get the piggy back kind either, the remote rezzies allow more cooling time and more oil capacity!;)

Chanman420q
08-28-2003, 03:27 PM
i would say get rezzys anyways even if u dont race. Its always nice to have them. And also if u do get elkas i suggest u get remotes as well, because if u trail ride the rezzys can get ripped off by a log or brush etc, u just never know and in MX when going in the holeshot u never know when another rider could pop up on top of you and snap the rezzy off.

batgeek
08-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
Dont get the piggy back kind either, the remote rezzies allow more cooling time and more oil capacity!;)

yes they allow for more oil, but the cooling effect is minor between the two.

DEAL
08-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Narly R

I would rather piggy backs.
It makes the quad so much easier to work on if you have to do anything which involves removing your shocks because I always find mine are hard to get the rezzies mounted on right without kinking or bending the line in the wrong direction.

Giz400ex
08-29-2003, 02:09 AM
If your not racing, you don't need rezzies! It would be a waste of money for you! You can use that extra money for something else.:D

Ex_Rider43
08-29-2003, 04:15 AM
hey deal, wanna trade???:D

ļI always wanted remote I got a good deal on piggybacks so....:D

Narly R
08-29-2003, 07:32 AM
Well its all presonal preverance. Like some people (well pros) have real long lines from the chock to the rezzie which DOES allow more cooling time (maybe not a lot but it does) and more oil capacity, but everyone is right if u dont race u dont need rezzies...;)

Rip_Tear
08-29-2003, 09:30 AM
You get what you pay for... Kinda, lol, if you get the rezzies you have them and their benifits, if you "do" use them. But if you don't have the rezzies you might "need" them kinda thing. Its up to you. If you get them and don't "need" them all you have lost is a bit of money. But if you don't get them and send them back to get get them, you have lost time and money. And the third possibility is, you don't need them and you saved a bit of money. But I wouldn't be "too" worried about remote or piggy back...

400grl
08-29-2003, 03:02 PM
I've heard that there is a pro/con for the remotes.....that while it can add a little more cooling to the oil, it can also take longer for the oil to reach the shock....any truth to that?

I run the rezzies, but I was just curious.....

And I love my Elkas!

Dave400ex
08-29-2003, 03:24 PM
I thought Jeff said Elka did a test to see which cooled better and they were both about the same. He also said there is a better chance of getting a line snapped off then a piggyback rezzy. If your gonna run a stabilizer, get piggybacks.

Out_Sider
08-30-2003, 04:10 AM
not to sound dumb or anything, but uh how much are Elka's without Rezzys?? Because i was going to get Works w/ rezzys, but i've always wanted Elkas... ANd if the price is similar i might go with Elkas. i know works with rezzys are $440.

westcoastmxer
08-30-2003, 09:45 AM
umm there about 515,i have works with rezzies and they work really good and make a huge difference,but im gunna get some elka 0 preload w/o rezzies.

westcoastmxer
08-30-2003, 09:46 AM
and im startin to race mx,soo do yall think i need rezzies?..i cant really afford them!

forum
09-01-2003, 11:38 AM
I have elka's with piggy back. you shouldn' t have a problem with the canister getting riped off but my friend had his compresion adjust knob broken off in a bit of smash em derby on the first corner after the start. he wish he had bought remotes. THe remotes however don't cool any better. They both cool the same. but for some aplications the remotes could block the airflow coming into the rad. If your tight on cash but plan on upgrading. definately go with elka. Elka uses 5/8's shafts even on there rec models. There have been atleast three sets of works with cans and 1/2 shafts end up looking like "J's" around here. they are not good for series MXers. whoever works pro series is a good shock.

cdalejef
09-01-2003, 11:47 AM
The problem with the remotes is the hose can get pulled apart pretty easy. I have seen countless shocks come in with broken hoses (all brands). I have seen 1 piggyback come in with a bent comp adjuster shaft but never a piggyback broken off.

400exBro
09-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by forum
There have been atleast three sets of works with cans and 1/2 shafts end up looking like "J's" around here. they are not good for series MXers. whoever works pro series is a good shock.

i run works, i am pleased with em becuase they are better then stock, but if i would does this over again, which i will, don't cheap out and go for the better quilty shock that costs more... sure you will leave a hole in your wallet but damn you will be a lot happier later on!!! trust me, i wish i would of went with elka right away!!!

popo
09-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Them piggy backs are UGLY. I prefer remotes and hopefully the way I mounted mine I should be safe.

http://users.iglide.net/gbelbeck/z29a.jpg